What are My chances with a powder Blue tang?

juniors04

If i got one it would be from here thats it. What are my chances of keeping one? I know they are real hard to keep.

t316

Is everything in your profile correct...300 gal. tank, and is your current fish list correct?

juniors04

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/3115481
Is everything in your profile correct...300 gal. tank, and is your current fish list correct?
Yes 300 gallon, And as far as Tangs go i have Blonde Naso, Blue Hippo, and Yellow tang. I want to get one but my concern would be Aggression towards the new addition. Thats why i ask what are my chances?

smoothie

Should be fine if added last. QT- Give him someplace to hide and keep the lights off for a couple of days. Put some nori on a clip where his comfort zone is and slowly inch it away until it is on the glass

jackri

25g tank for QT wouldn't be bad as long as he's not overly big yet.
Pretty fish, make sure you fully QT him if you get him as I'd hate to hear about a 300g tank coming down with ich.
Good luck!

jonr1973

I have a 135 gallon w/ four tangs in the following sizes (lg to sm) Yellow, Powder Blue, Hippo/Regal, Kole. I have had all of them for ~ 1 yr. No fighting. I only feed them formula 2 twice a day and sometimes nori. I base my success w/ the whole system on the 57 watt UV light that is hooked up. No problems since I installed the UV. FYI, when I brought the Powder Blue home he did develop white spots/ich and therefore rushed to get the UV light, which tremedously helped him and he is still doing great!

smoothie

Be sure to pick a healthy one at the lfs. Main thing after health and eating is to make sure this is the last tang you want to add. He will not be happy with newcomers

I didn't have much luck with mine. Powder Blue's seem more susceptable to ICH than other Tangs. Mine was very healthy, and was doing well, but generated ICH and it couldn't fight it.
I have the following: Hippo, Yellow and a Sohal Tang... all are ove a year old... Personally I am glad I got the Sohal last, very beautiful fish, would take that over a Powder Blue any day... but be careful these can be very aggressive, so if you want to try this one, it needs to be added last... Mine has been great towards the other tangs... only aggressive to my Foxface, but that has been wheening off, he seems to be calming down as he grows up.
All tangs are beautiful though!!!

lietz06

I just had one, they are a beautiful fish. He was actually the most aggresive one out of a yellow, purple, & blue hippo. They all got put in about the same time. I noticed ick on the hippo, then the powder, then a very little on my purple. i dosed the tank with kick ich, bc i have a 200 gallon tank and couldn't imagine trying to fish all those fish out. He was my only tang who died. Everyone else got over the ich relitively quickly. Unfortunantly he didn't make it. He just never could get over the ich. So if you are going to get one I would def. try to qt it if you have qt tank set up, I didn't.

juniors04

Thanks for all the input guys looks like i have a big decision to make. Im pretty much getting the feeling its not worth it. Im due for a new fish its been a while since i added somthing to my DT. Any suggestions what i should add? Heres my current stocklist French Angel, Annularis Angel, Blonde Naso, Yellow Tang, Blue hippo, Double saddleback butterfly, Lookdown jack, gold moroon clown, and 3 blue damsels.

t316

I don't think they are too much of a risk. My PB is my favorite fish in the tank. As mentioned, just QT him and reduce your chances of getting ich.
BTW...you have had no problems with the two angels together?

juniors04

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/3119854
I don't think they are too much of a risk. My PB is my favorite fish in the tank. As mentioned, just QT him and reduce your chances of getting ich.
BTW...you have had no problems with the two angels together?

Every once in a whileMy french will chase my Annularis when feeding. Not real bad though. Ive had them both for a while now. They are getting big! Its weird my H tusk chases my look down jack sometimes i dont know why and the Look down is way bigger than the tusk.