what are the best return pumps?

46cobraguy

hey guys and gals....im looking to purchase a different pump for my set up as for the one i have now is a little to loud for me since my tank is in my bedroom. my set up is a RR 75 gallon with a 20 gallon long sump tank. I was looking to have around 1100-1300 gph pump. Can anyone recomend a pump that is not loud and is good in quality? how are the jebo pumps? i saw some1 selling a 1300gph one somewhere and was wondering how they are? are they loud? any input will be appreciated because i have not a clue or experience with them. I just know the one i have now is not going to cut it for my bedroom.
thanks
chris

a sea k

The pump best suited to your criteria would be a Ehiem 1260. It is not rated at the flow your looking for and the pumps deliver alot more GPH than advertised, that much flow ids too much thru your sump for a 75 anyway IMO but if you feel that is what you need for your system use the 1262.
Both of these pumps are probably the most quiet,durable, and energy efficient pumps in the submersible class and contribute very little to heat transfer.
They are not the cheapest but IMO are THE BEST.

azaintcold

I use a mag drive 18 that is rated for 1100 GPH after the head loss on my 150. Not loud at all and very affordable.

isistius

quietone 4000 or 6000. very quiet. can be used in or out of sump. i'm using a quietone 6000 on my 135

46cobraguy

well what rate pump do you think i should get....i have no clue what rate it drains at to the sump....its just an overflow that is drilled and the pipe leading to the sump is 1.5 inch piping...the pipe that goes from the drain syphon throw the glass is met by a tee fitting(one going up and one going down) the one going up is for air to come in and the one going down is obviously where hte water goes into the sump. The return side is basically one inch pipe all the way back to the bulkhead fitting then it has 3/4 line loc tubing once inside the tank. The pump i have now is rated 1105gph and it puts a lot of water movement into the tank. Do i need that much? I dont have any corals yet as for i just set the tank up but eventually i would like to have some....like frogspawn, hammer, and other thigns of the such... what do you guys think i need?
ps also...how are the JEBO pumps? i found a used one rated at 1300gph but i dont know hwo loud or well built they are.

a sea k

Originally Posted by 46cobraguy
well what rate pump do you think i should get....i have no clue what rate it drains at to the sump....its just an overflow that is drilled and the pipe leading to the sump is 1.5 inch piping...the pipe that goes from the drain syphon throw the glass is met by a tee fitting(one going up and one going down) the one going up is for air to come in and the one going down is obviously where hte water goes into the sump. The return side is basically one inch pipe all the way back to the bulkhead fitting then it has 3/4 line loc tubing once inside the tank. The pump i have now is rated 1105gph and it puts a lot of water movement into the tank. Do i need that much? I dont have any corals yet as for i just set the tank up but eventually i would like to have some....like frogspawn, hammer, and other thigns of the such... what do you guys think i need?
ps also...how are the JEBO pumps? i found a used one rated at 1300gph but i dont know hwo loud or well built they are.
You should only run 3 to 5 times your system volume through your sump, so as far as a return pump anything 225 to 375 GPH once you allow for headloss.
The 1260 should work quite well and is 65 watts. If it still a little too much you can use a valve to throttle it back.
Depending on what you plan to keep youll need 30 to 50 times total in tank circulation(2250-3750 GPH), You can use in tank powerheads, wavemaker, closed loop or any combo of these to accomplish this. The proper amount of overall flow is a critical factor to your tanks health, better more than not enough. My system is currently running 40X turnover, and could use a little more.
I dont know about the Jebo pumps but, 1300GPH is too much for both your sump and likely your overflow as well.

trainfever

You have to go by what your drain can handle. I believe a 75 has a 1" bulkhead which can handle 600gph. If you get a pump that circulates more than that, you are looking for a flood. y recomendation for a 75 would be a Magdrive 7. They are rated at 700 gph but you will lose about 200 gph at a 3ft elevation. You can then increase your flow with either a closed loop or a few powerheads.

46cobraguy

what is that lol? sorry im noob to this stuff....aslo when i run my 1105 gph pump it doesnt flood....it cycles perfectsly fine....

clown52

That is because you are not really moving that much once you factor in the head height and plumbing turns.

azaintcold

A closed loop is a system of pvc behind the tank involving a simple 'loop' of water flow involving an external pump. it helps get rid of ugly equipment like powerheads.

46cobraguy

does that require more drilling of the tank? does anyone have any pictures of these closed loop setups? also what are those powerheads that look like fans? or what are some good ones that arent real bulky?

46cobraguy

Originally Posted by TAZ_12777
The Hydor Koralia Pumps are the fan looking pumps. They go from 400 gph to 1200 gph.
are they expensive? and where u get them...never seen em

taz_12777

The 400 is about $38.00 and the 1200 is about $60.00. I can't give you the site here because it's not allowed. Try your LFS or do a search on the web under Hydor Koralia Pumps and see if that gives you anything.