What can we do to up the numbers?

stdreb27

Originally Posted by ophiura
http:///forum/post/3052375
Heck you even see this on other store sites where you can "talk to an expert live" from time x to time z.
Basically it is a live free flowing conversation, usually on a set topic or theme. It is very different, IMO, from a thread. I wonder if you could even do a webcam presentation or something followed up with live questions via the chat.
Exactly. Like they would advertise Susan is going to be talking about star fish at 7pm central time. Then you click the link and open up some sort of chat room. Then susan starts talking. Depending on how many people end up showing up. It could be a town hall type situation, where people submit just questions, and susan could anwer, or if it is small enough, with level headed people you could just make it a free for all. With a "mod" bouncing morons...

ophiura

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/3052434
Exactly. Like they would advertise Susan is going to be talking about star fish at 7pm central time. Then you click the link and open up some sort of chat room. Then susan starts talking. Depending on how many people end up showing up. It could be a town hall type situation, where people submit just questions, and susan could anwer, or if it is small enough, with level headed people you could just make it a free for all. With a "mod" bouncing morons...
Uh, just to clarify ... I am not promoting myself in any way

J

jasonk

not saying we have to do it just like the other board, but the admin there would pick a topic. say, common questions on star fish, to use the example above. He would then give out a list of very common misconceptions and proper info. then based on that people would ask questions and get a response right away. to talk about how it's different, it's been said, but it really is more conversational. i know you can ask a question here and get a response, but it's more like the difference between sitting at a table with someone, or just sitting texting someone. it's just more personal. also as to missing the info once it was done, he just copied the conversation and pasted it into a seperate post on the site. there was a seperate category for the "past live chats." they could be long to read, but it was awesome if you couldn't make it to the chat, or if there was something you wanted to reference later. they'd just advertise a time. 8-10 est and you could make it or not. i loved them, and felt like i got alot of info from them, sometimes more from the questions asked later, than the original info. just an idea though. sorry for the long post.

florida joe

All of these suggestions are great BUT getting back to the original thread on getting more membership. I believe it has to start with getting people to know that there is a SWF .com site and that it has a messaging area. I believe getting the word out is the first step. Your LFS may not like the idea of you posting a note in their store but you can certainly talk to other hobbyists when you are in the store. I now I do. Also reach out to local clubs

meowzer

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3053009
All of these suggestions are great BUT getting back to the original thread on getting more membership. I believe it has to start with getting people to know that there is a SWF .com site and that it has a messaging area. I believe getting the word out is the first step. Your LFS may not like the idea of you posting a note in their store but you can certainly talk to other hobbyists when you are in the store. I now I do. Also reach out to local clubs
LOL...My NOT SO LFS is the one who told me about swf....I think the ones just out to look for a buck probably won't tell you. I have passed this site name along to the "very" few people I ever get to talk to about swf...that aren't already here

pezenfuego

Is there any way we could advertise the forum rather than just the store? Maybe feature a tank every month or something. There is a lot we can do to improve the forum, but I think that getting the word out about it is even more important right now. Then we can focus more on making improvements and trying to get old members to come back.
Cranberry, nice new avatar.

cranberry

Originally Posted by PEZenfuego
http:///forum/post/3053591
Cranberry, nice new avatar.

TY! Figured I would enjoy him more while he is still a baby. He's hunting a piece of Hikari mysis.
As big as he is on your screen... that's how big he is IRL.

veni vidi vici

It seems to me that the some of the members with the most experiance and knowledge never leave The Aquarium.Maybe we should all try leaving this area and stop discussing how to save this forum and start doing something possitive by helping out the new hobbiest or the not so new ones that are looking for some help.
Maybe start some useful debates in some of the other forums

hlcroghan

Agreed.....I don't mind the Aquarium but it would be nice if it was shut down for a little while once a week or something so peoople would come out of that hole. It seems like a lot of memebers only come here for that.

meowzer

Originally Posted by hlcroghan
http:///forum/post/3055566
Agreed.....I don't mind the Aquarium but it would be nice if it was shut down for a little while once a week or something so peoople would come out of that hole. It seems like a lot of memebers only come here for that.
....LOL...I spend a lot of time in the fish part, but I think if you shut down the aquarium...for any amount of time..you would definitely lose people

sepulatian

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3055570
....LOL...I spend a lot of time in the fish part, but I think if you shut down the aquarium...for any amount of time..you would definitely lose people
I agree. People cannot be expected to ONLY answer questions all of the time. Granted that is the main purpose of the forums, but I think it breaks things up nicely to have a place where members can talk about non-fish related topics.
The idea here is to draw in new members, not drive away existing ones. Great ideas everyone, keep them coming!

nicetry

Originally Posted by jasonk
http:///forum/post/3051589
what about having chat open for specific discussions then closing it down. i was on another site for awhile that would have one of the knowledgeable people (usually a mod or site admin) pic a topic. then you could log on and through chat read the info then ask questions on the topic. i loved that!
This can be a draw for more serious hobbyists, and a way to specifically target a certain topic. A site I belonged to in the past had a monthly chat about a various subject. A member well versed on the topic would lead the discussion and field questions from members, who would, in turn, offer their own perspectives. The topic would be posted a couple weeks in advance and this allowed people a chance to work it in to their schedule.
Originally Posted by Al Mc
http:///forum/post/3051885
Even better. Why not invite some of the more 'famous' people in the swf world. Publicize it on swf.com home page and see if you can draw in some new members to the forum that gets a few well known speakers (no offense to Beth, Sep, 'O" and some of our experienced contibutors/mods)
Most of the "famous" hobbyisits don't even post on boards, and those that do, don't post here (Frank Marini is an exception. He drops by on rare occassion). It would be highly unlikely that one of the published or "famous" sw gurus would agree to host a chat, and even if you did, doubtful a person would register as a new member to participate in this one time event.
Originally Posted by sepulatian

http:///forum/post/3052048
I have checked out live chats on other boards... They are alright, but most are seemingly useless. I don't know how many people have all afternoon/evening to talk and then have the conversation end and be closed out. I would rather be able to go to sleep and come back to it in the morning... JMO though.
Much depends on the topic. A lot of the chats are just BS sessions where anyone just drops in and participates, usually not on a structured topic. Having an agenda and pre-determined guidelines can keep a discussion on topic. The chat leader also reserves the right to ask someone to leave if they start screwing off.
Originally Posted by florida joe

border="0" alt="View Post">
People know the site is here. Most people looking for sw info google saltwater fish and this is probably the first site to pop up. Not sure why the fuss about getting new members. There are new folks logging on every day, just as there are members who leave for any given reason. Look at the member list and count the number of posters who have been members for years but who have less than 10 posts, the last of which was 5 years ago! Why are they even on the roll? Any board who thinned out their membership roll and deleted accounts that have been inactive for more than a year would probably see a 50% reduction in "members." The hobby is always in flux, and sometimes, people just get out, or lose interest in message boards.
Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici
http:///forum/post/3054050
It seems to me that the some of the members with the most experiance and knowledge never leave The Aquarium.Maybe we should all try leaving this area and stop discussing how to save this forum and start doing something possitive by helping out the new hobbiest or the not so new ones that are looking for some help.
Maybe start some useful debates in some of the other forums

Really? I think some of the more valuable members don't frequent the OT forum. This holds true on most boards. OT forums are fluff. Someone interested in the hobby aspect will spend the majority of their time posting about hobby related topics.
Originally Posted by meowzer

http:///forum/post/3055570
Doubtful. I was here when the Aquarium was shut down several years ago. There was a lot of whining from some who couldn't get their daily dose of drama, but membership didn't drop off. The hobby forums were just as active.
I'm also doubting that many members join any board based on the content and quality of the OT discussions. I think first and foremeost they have a sense that a board can answer their questions about the hobby. They can then decide how much to participate in OT stuff, if at all. The Aquarium is all too often a sand box where kids come to throw their toys around. Not a whole lot of substance in most cases. If anyone left because the OT forum was closed, would that really detract from the hobby forums? I doubt it.

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
http:///forum/post/3057499
It's interesting, Saltwaterfish.com is actually in the top 27% of message boards ranked on the internet according to http://rankings.big-boards.com!
Interestingly enough, this is the exact website that those trolls used a while back when looking for boards to terrorize. Were you there? Sep fixed it rather quickly though.
Just a tidbit.
You also have to look what other swf message boards ranked above us though...

ophiura

I am sure there are boards above us. That is for sure, I know they exist...I used to be on them...and I didn't enjoy it. So just being ranked higher that SWF does not make them necessarily better
definitely not for me.

nofish

hello,
i want to add my .02 for a min. This site is the easiest site i ever been to, and one of the most informed one i visted. I have a small prob.it is the links to other saltwater forums are not allow(some poeple are lazy to go thought more then one forum..me). As for as the used/ trade sect. i loved it but i understand why it had to go. I join this forum and didn't have a tank. so now i still don't have a tank(running)..lol..I like trying to ID the stuff and read all your post to learn what i should do...now to the point..I think the econmy & people losing there homes are why saltwater tanks are shinking, i for one have an empty 175g in my living room just begging to be ran but i can not afford to run it. Also i think this site should do some online advertsment to help with the growth....well i really don't think i did make a point!..lol ok
JR
...ps sorry for the bad spelling

fenrir

This is an idea from the car forum I visit. I don't know about you guys but I am the only one I know of that does saltwater tanks in my area. Maybe starting state or area boards where members can get together in geograohical areas and chat with each other. Maybe from there they star clubs and other meets. For example I am in the north east Focus Fanatics club and we get together at different car meets through out the year. It would be pretty neat to get together with other members close by. From there we could recruit other minions to join swf!

greenreefer

Well I left with many other after the selling trading section went away (that auction site was horrible BTW). I didn't appreciate being forced to use the -- selling are to look for frags and used equipment so I left and just participated in my local reef club site, but there's not enough people locally to keep it active enough so eventually I came back. I've talked with several others that left and i have a feeling they will trickle back like I did. I think the best we can do is to be active and positive here so when they show or new folks show up they have a good experience.