What did I do- water was crystal clear now cloudy?

naclh2o nut

Tank has been set up 2 months and real good parameters.
Last week ph dropped a little. I am guessing because I had glass covers, running lights with no splash guard. So I added three spoons of 8.3 buffer over a 5 day span. Ph is back to normal, lfs tested water and found that ALK was high, did not get number but they said it would be ok and come down in the next couple of days.
Also changed from regular flour. lights to P/Cs, see more algea growth looks like coraline(i posted and was told it looked like it).
So during this time water has gone from crystal clear to a hazy/ cloudy look. I could look through the end of tank and see the other side clear (4') now just looking through the front is cloudy.
Help with ideas!

naclh2o nut

Spanko,
I forgot I put a whisper 100 on with a carbon filter on tank about 4 days ago. Nothing yet and cartridge started to back water up. I have a 20 gal sump with floss and bio balls, seaclone 150 pulling about a quarter cup of black funk out a day.
Moezer,
yellow tang, 2 clowns, 1 goby, 3 chromis all fish very small ( 1" to 3")
about 6 different small coral rocks. polys, shrooms,leather and a colt - note colt has been drawn up very small for two days.

meowzer

This is the 90G?? It's all I see listed on your profile....is your cloudiness a white color or do you see any tint to it?

spanko

Could be from the HOB filter cartridge. Sometimes if you don't rinse them the carbon dust will cloud the water a tad. What do you think Miss Kitty??

meowzer

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2960499
Could be from the HOB filter cartridge. Sometimes if you don't rinse them the carbon dust will cloud the water a tad. What do you think Miss Kitty??
IDK...LOL...I had this problem a little while back though...started out whitish, then went to a slight tint of yellow...I put a H.O.T. magnum HOB filter with carbon on the back of tank (I run no carbon due to tangs and HLLE) I changed the carbon every 2 days...then I got my sump...alltogether after doing all that the problem was solved.

naclh2o nut

yes 90 gal. started about 10 days ago so I added the carbon. Seems to have started about the time I added buffer.
It is white cloudy. Not micro bubbles, seaclone can add them if not dail in along with sump if it gets low. But it is not bubbles. Looks like someone put a little milk in and it diluted but is still noticeable.

meowzer

Are you doing water changes? If not, you need to do a good one, and then maybe another one within a few days? How often are you changing the carbon on your HOB?
Besides PH and ALK, what are your other tests showing...(trite, trate....)

veni vidi vici

I was thinking this sounds like some sort of water parameter imbalance ,probably due to PH Buffer.How are your inhabitants doing?
I would do a routine water change or two and see if that helps.

naclh2o nut

meowzer -
water, 0 amm, 0 trite, <5 trate, 1 phosphate. went back to LFS and test for cal and alk is now cal 240, alk 16. So after going over numbers with the coral guy in lfs - looks like the buffer that I was given should have been applied at 1 teaspoon per day not 1 tablespoon per day.

Carbon was only in filter for 4 days. I have removed it because it started overflowing, looked like it got a film on it.
Veni Vidi Vici -
everyone is doing good, the only thing that I questioned is a kenya tree, it has drawn up and has not came out. It is about 1/4 the size that it is most of the time. Local guy says it is probably sucking up the cal.
Started adding Calcium and doing H20 changes to rebalance cal and alk. He said it should clear in a couple of days.
Thanks for everyones input and hope this is fixed.