what did you do?

oneflysi

2 quick questions just to get some opinions.
-first off, what did everyone do with the back of there tank? i've heard some painting it black or various colors...anyone put a background up? my friend owns his own photography shop and blew up a sunrise pic i took in the caribbean last year. i haven't put it up yet, but was noticing i never see any backgrounds in members reef pics. any reason i shouldn't put it up?
-and two, does anyone know any online companies who sell full tank hoods for various size aquariums? i was thinking about making my own, but thought i would check out prices on some pre-made hoods first.
thanks!!
-One

Great directions and diagram for making your own hood at this addess:
<a href="http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/2637/canopy.html" target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/2637/canopy.html</a>
Check it out first.

oneflysi

hey, thanks!! i would have to make mine slightly different than that ( i would want a taller hood than 4 inches due to the lighting fixtures i already have), but that give me a good base to go from. great site!
-One

ofalegend

I'm not sure about everyone else, OneFlySi, but I personally use a background. It's actually a pale blue background with column ruins and a statue in the "distance." It was designed to be 3 dimensional, so it's not something that would distract you from the fish/corals in your tank. That's my major issue with backgrounds. They tend to be a little "loud" and people find themselves staring at the background instead of the incredible life in the tank. But with the background I chose that isn't a problem. I would have actually preferred no background, but with the filters and wires hanging down the back I had to have some sort of background, and this one worked out nicely. I've seen it at just about every LFS I've been to, so it shouldn't be a problem to find if you want to check it out :)
~M

taku

Hey OneFlySi ;)
I just went to Petsmart last week and picked up a dual sided background that's black on one side and bright blue on the other. I put the blue side up for all to see and it came out very nice. It was cheap... $7 for 6ft x 2ft.
I still really want to see the sunset background you were talking about though... :)

jumpfrog

I went with painted look. It holds up as long as you're careful. Would love to see the sunset though.

royce

I put a black background on the back of my tank - it cuts down on the light blazing into the room from the wall behind the tank. It also helps to hide the wires and hang-on skimmer. I chose black to help show off the fish, I thought that hippo tang wouldn't look as good with a blue background. And my husband made a nice canopy for me and it probably only cost $30 for all of the materials

predator

Before I had this new tank custom built, I used no back ground. I just let the back get nice and funky with some coraline. Now I have no back to my tank. It's a custom built 100 gallon. 3ft by 3ft by 18 in with the overflow built in the center. So instead of a front and a back, I just got four fronts :D

oneflysi

thanks for all the replies. i have yet to put up the sunset background, but it is very cool. the ocean is black looking with a dark orange sky. i will snap some pics of it tonight and post some pics up in the morning. i think it will look good...besides, something has to go up to hide everything.
as for a hood, i think i will start building it here shortly. looks real simple and will make my tank nicer looking IMO.
-One