what did you pay for your live rock?

jtt

well?
how much did you pay?
did you buy from your local fish store?
did you buy from someone else getting out of the hobby? or downgrading?
why did it cost so much/little?

zshain012

I paid 6.99 a pound. I bought it from my lfs. It's great because so many things came out of it, and it's cured

jtt

i cant find anything cheaper than $5.99/lb
i got one piece from the lfs's front display tank, everything in there is not for sale, and i saw a perfect piece of rock that would just COMPLETE my tank, i bugged them for weeks and weeks, they finally gave in but i had to pay $9 a pound, for one rock!

kjr_trig

There is a store here in Phoenix that always has Figi Premium for $3.50 a pound...Great stuff too, I used it in both my tanks.

spiderwoman

First 60 lbs $7.99 from LFS, since then everything used from other reefers.. costing anywhere from $2.50 - $3.50.
I did buy total 100lbs of dry shelve rocks from Marco Rocks and that was about $3.00/lb

dragonzim

About $2.50 a lb for my first 50 lbs of uncured Tonga branch, then about $3 a lb for my next 50 lbs of uncured Fiji.

aquaknight

I've paid anywhere from free-ninety-nine/lb. (for some dead rock I collected myself), to over $9/lb. for some super premium Tampa Bay rock, that was covered in caulerpa/halimeda/sponges etc.

wangotango

About $6/pound for cured. Most offer some kind of deal if you buy like 20 pounds or more.
My next tank is going to be all DIY rock. I'm done with hitchhikers and lobophora variagata.
-Justin

alix2.0

depends. some i paid $7 a pound, some i paid $1.50 a pound. once i got about 20+ pounds for a few bucks, once i got 30 pounds for $10, and some i got for free. i hate paying LFS prices for LR. you can always find it cheaper.

stdreb27

I've picked up most of my stuff used from other reefers in complete setups. Then I turned around and sold the setups. I actually turned a little profit on it. 300 pounds of liverock and I made about 100 bucks.

grumpygils

I sell it for a max of 3$/lbs for good purple fiji and 2.50 for moderate colored fiji. I have 75 lbs right now in Raleigh NC for 2.50/lbs. I get it from tank buy outs. I try not to pay any more than 2/lbs. No shipping ever though! I like to make sure people are happy in person!
mc

camfish

Originally Posted by Rotarymagic
http:///forum/post/2874854
gotta love the guys without scales that underquote the weight...
They ALWAYS underquote it. I guess they don't want to get accused of ripping someone off by giving an accurate estimate.

eaglephot

I paid about $4 lb (this includes shipping!) for some of the best I have seen. I got it from one of the top pet and fish online stores I am not allowed to mention. Amazing stuff though. Really cheap for nice stuff. And, I had a small problem with an order awhile back. About 15 lbs of my 45 lb box of rock was crushed. I called them and they sent me 25 lbs more that same day! I won't buy from anywhere else.
When it comes to online fish, though, I ONLY buy from SWF.com!!!!

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by camfish
http:///forum/post/2875185
They ALWAYS underquote it. I guess they don't want to get accused of ripping someone off by giving an accurate estimate.

no no I mean they sell ya almost 250lbs of rock for 150lbs@$2/lb.... I'm not talking about underquoting 20lbs lol..