What do you do with old tank Water?

yukon

I don't and I wouldn't there's already enought stuff being dumped into the lake from the mills and refineries. Besides it's to freaking far to be lugging all that water down the hill.

opthomas

I'm not sure about septic systems but pouring it down the drain that ties into a municipal sewer should not be a problem. Remember the solution to pollution is dilution. Water softeners and pools draining into municipal wastewater systems will add more salts than you changing your aquarium water.
I could see a lot of salt in your septic system becoming a problem but it would probably take a while. As the salt water leaches into the soil the water will be used up by plants, evaporate or go down into the ground water but the salts will stay and accumulate eventually creating an environment that will be too salty for your plants.

rot_stupid

Just pour it into your neighbors yard, that way you don't have to worry about your grass dying. You can even write things in their yard with it.

By the way, it's best to do this at night when nobody is looking...hehehe

yukon

Originally Posted by rot_stupid
http:///forum/post/2605078
Just pour it into your neighbors yard, that way you don't have to worry about your grass dying. You can even write things in their yard with it.

By the way, it's best to do this at night when nobody is looking...hehehe
I have some neighbors in mind

stdreb27

I pour mine onto my carpet.

Septic systems have biological cycle not unlike what is in our fish tanks. The problem is they are fresh water systems. I seriously doubt that dumping 10 gallons a week into a system would be a serious problem especially with a larger septic system.
There are different types of concrete, some are more resilliant when it comes to salt water, the type on your drive way is usually not. But that being said, next time you go shopping at an older shopping center look for runoff locations from the roof that land on on concrete, fresh rainwater will erode concrete too.
Pouring it into your city sewer system isn't going to affect the ecological system that much. With the thousand of thousands if not millions of gallons your 20 or 40 gallon change isn't even going to measure.

sharkbait9

t
Originally Posted by PerfectDark
http:///forum/post/2604855
Salt is extremly corrosive, dont believe me, pour your next bucket of waste water on your concrete walk and wait a bit. You will start to see the concrete break down and small particles of the rock base will be left. Other products are used instead of Sodium Chloride to melt ice because of this. As an example, Magnesium chloride however it attracts moisture where as sodium chloride keeps sidewalks dry. Another is Calcium magnesium acetate which is said to be the safest and doesnt seem to harm concrete. However the majority of what you purchase for melting ice off your walkways is plain ol Sodium Chloride in a different shape, pelletized or rock.
Every couple of years we have to go out and repair the drains from all the salt we throw during the winter.
Salt burns concrete and black top

salty blues

Gimme a break. Some of you are worried about a little salt on the streets or in the eco system or whatever. The fact is most every aspect of this hobby is anti-environment.
We take live rock from the reefs. We put fish, corals, etc. from the ocean into our tanks. We use water, electricity, high powered lighting and so forth to run and sustain our tank systems.
We waste water to make filtered water. Water evaporates from our tank. We top off with yet more water.
A little salt down the drain or where ever is the least of it. And fwiw, I drain my water changes on to part of my front yard and the grass is always green.

t316

Sounds like some of you are making us "pour it in the right spot" folks out as Tree Huggers. I am just the contrary....I'd chainsaw a tree right out of the front yard with my neighbors kitty still in it, if I needed some firewood. The point was about what damage the salt can do.
I challenge you...start dumping it into your driveway or sidewalk for 3 months, and report back what you see. Or, dump it in the same spot in your grass for 3 weeks, and let us know. And BTW, if you are on a municipal system, then no, none of this applies to you. Dump it down the drain. City/county waste water systems are so diluted that our little contribution would be like driving a boat out to the gulf stream, peeing off the side of the boat, and then coming back home. I don't think it would kill anyone.

yukon

I found my dump!
from now on it's going under my deck in the gravel. And I'll be buying some rid-x for the septic tank. Hopefully I haven't done any damage to it. I don't need the added expence of replacing or repairing it since I just had to dish out 2400 for a well at my rental house.

opthomas

I personally dump my water into a sanitary sewer rather than a storm drain just because at least it would get some form of treatment, especially since you are dumping microorganisms and possibly algae/inverts that are not indigenous to your area. Invasive algae is a big concern here in Southern California, the invasive zebra mussel is becoming a concern throughout the country. Most of these are transported by boaters but if anyone remembers the snakehead a couple years ago it was released by an aquarist. Just another thing to think about.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/2605669
Sounds like some of you are making us "pour it in the right spot" folks out as Tree Huggers. I am just the contrary....I'd chainsaw a tree right out of the front yard with my neighbors kitty still in it, if I needed some firewood. The point was about what damage the salt can do.
I challenge you...start dumping it into your driveway or sidewalk for 3 months, and report back what you see. Or, dump it in the same spot in your grass for 3 weeks, and let us know. And BTW, if you are on a municipal system, then no, none of this applies to you. Dump it down the drain. City/county waste water systems are so diluted that our little contribution would be like driving a boat out to the gulf stream, peeing off the side of the boat, and then coming back home. I don't think it would kill anyone.