What happened to cause all fish to die after 2 years?

mombostic

That is wonderful! I showed that picture to my son and he flipped! Maybe someday.
Sorry for the thread digression, kleake.

kleake

It's all good, my kids love to look at seahorses too and have ask my why I didn't have any. ;-)
I like to look at my tank late into the night, so I have my lights come on around noon and then shut down about midnight. The first clown died in the middle of the night right after the water change and failed pump restart, and all others were looking bad already at that point. Up to the water change, everything was acting normal with absolutely no signs of stress other than tha fact the corals had not been opening much at all for about a week or so. Something was starting to get out of balance and I think the pump not restarting after the water change was what triggered a chemical warefare. Basically within 8 hrs overnight after the water change, 1 clown died, and all other fish were majorly stressed and died within 48 hrs. Within another 48hrs, all other corals and anemones were dead with the exception of 1 tiny anemone, coral banded shrimp, a snail or two and a few hermits.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleake http:///t/389903/what-happened-to-cause-all-fish-to-die-after-2-years/20#post_3451217
It's all good, my kids love to look at seahorses too and have ask my why I didn't have any. ;-)
I like to look at my tank late into the night, so I have my lights come on around noon and then shut down about midnight. The first clown died in the middle of the night right after the water change and failed pump restart, and all others were looking bad already at that point. Up to the water change, everything was acting normal with absolutely no signs of stress other than tha fact the corals had not been opening much at all for about a week or so. Something was starting to get out of balance and I think the pump not restarting after the water change was what triggered a chemical warefare. Basically within 8 hrs overnight after the water change, 1 clown died, and all other fish were majorly stressed and died within 48 hrs. Within another 48hrs, all other corals and anemones were dead with the exception of 1 tiny anemone, coral banded shrimp, a snail or two and a few hermits.
My heart aches just to read about it. {{{Cyber hug}}} Corals are my water tests when I feel lazy. (not the leathers, they shrivel and shed regularly) If everything in the tank is not opening there is a problem....I look until I find out what it is. Most times it's PO4 (phosphates) or NO3 (nitrates).

kleake

Ok, carbon has been in for 3 days now and the sump is no longer foaming. I put the new pump in the display temporarily to stir up the sand and help get rid of the algae. That pump moves ALOT of water, and this has worked well as alot of things got stirred up. It clogged my filter media twice so I know I got alot of things out by doing that. I also replaced all of my RO-DI filters and media. That put my topoff water quality from 33ppm down to 4ppm. All of this is looking good and I can tell the tank is making some changes for the positive.
The smallest anemone (about 1" in size) has survived, as well as I see some small polyps that are starting to come back that I haven't seen in quite some time. Coral banded shrimp is still looking good as well. I did pick up a few fish (small zebra damsel, small clown, and a tiny scooter blenny) and put them in my little 5 gallon nano as a QT tank for them.
I will let this run a few weeks, then add a cleanup crew back in and let them clean up whatever is left. It's really a bummer, but I have learned alot with this issue and things I should have done to prevent it. Hopefully all goes well from here.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleake http:///t/389903/what-happened-to-cause-all-fish-to-die-after-2-years/20#post_3451775
Ok, carbon has been in for 3 days now and the sump is no longer foaming. I put the new pump in the display temporarily to stir up the sand and help get rid of the algae. That pump moves ALOT of water, and this has worked well as alot of things got stirred up. It clogged my filter media twice so I know I got alot of things out by doing that. I also replaced all of my RO-DI filters and media. That put my topoff water quality from 33ppm down to 4ppm. All of this is looking good and I can tell the tank is making some changes for the positive.
The smallest anemone (about 1" in size) has survived, as well as I see some small polyps that are starting to come back that I haven't seen in quite some time. Coral banded shrimp is still looking good as well. I did pick up a few fish (small zebra damsel, small clown, and a tiny scooter blenny) and put them in my little 5 gallon nano as a QT tank for them.
I will let this run a few weeks, then add a cleanup crew back in and let them clean up whatever is left. It's really a bummer, but I have learned alot with this issue and things I should have done to prevent it. Hopefully all goes well from here.
Wow..33ppm to 4ppm! My last TDS test was 4ppm and the Culligan guy said he seldom had such low readings in a home unit, so you're doing good.

I don't toss out any corals unless it's polluting the tank, I even leave their little skeletons as part of the rock work. I can't tell you how many times I thought a caral was dead and have it make a comback....so you may see more coral improvement as the water quality gets better, we are ever hopeful.
We need some pictures as you revamp the tank.

kleake

I will get some pictures so I have some before and after as well.
I hated to, but I did toss out my torch coral as it was releasing some stringy white and brown stuff so I figure it was pretty much gone. It had grown from 2 stalks to about 15 or more and was getting quite large. Besides the dead fish and anemones that is the only thing I took out. I definitely plan to get another one as we really liked it.