What is the point of a wave maker?

fanker

it makes ur powerheads adjust on a timer so the flow goes back and forth like the ocean. instead of constant flow

mudplayerx

Alternating currents mimic the ocean more closely than static current. It helps keep detritus suspended where critters and filters can get rid of it. The corals also seems to enjoy the movement.
If you don't want to invest in a pricey wavemaker you can buy Hydor Flows that connect to the powerheads you probably already have. I use these with great effect.

fanker

it stops or lowers the flow of a pump, they r prices cause there amazing, and u get better growth out of coral with them

coral keeper

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
Alternating currents mimic the ocean more closely than static current. It helps keep detritus suspended where critters and filters can get rid of it. The corals also seems to enjoy the movement.
If you don't want to invest in a pricey wavemaker you can buy Hydor Flows that connect to the powerheads you probably already have. I use these with great effect.
Dos the hydor flow do almost the same thing as a wave maker?

jonthefishguy

yes there are some for smaller tanks but not nano's. I am actually going to put a TUNZE one in on mine. Just realized my distributer sales it and will set it in my DT so maybe customers will want one too after they see how they work.

mike22cha

I have a hydro flow on one of my powerheads. (unfortunately it seems to be stuck though) But anyways, it works on certian kinds of powerheads. When I was changing my filters and stuff last Feubuary I bought two powerheads and two hydroflows, but they wouldn't fit on my new ones. So I put one on an old one, so I have 3 powerheads in my tank. Long story, moral is: Make sure you got a powerhead that'll work.

mudplayerx

When the Hydor Flows get stuck you can take them apart (there are like 5 or 6 pieces) and scrub them with a toothbrush. This has gotten mine unstuck.
It could also be that the powerhead is not putting enough current out to make the Hydor revolve. Try ctaking apart the powerhead and scrubbing it as well.

bonebrake

Here is a video of my Wave2K wavemaker. Excuse the tank - it is my new 90 gal. and it has only been setup for three days. It is a Frankenstein of sorts by combining all of the rock, corals, and fish from my three nano tanks.