What is this..not cyano

juice_1080

I am starting to see this brown cyano looking stuff on one side of my sand bed and a rock. It looks just like cyano but brown instead of red and it is hard. Normally when I run my magfloat past cyano or use a turkey baster it just blows away. This stuff actually forms like a sheet and I have to just pick it up and toss it with the LS that it attached to. Hopefully someone else has had this same stuff and knows how to get rid of it.

Thanks in advance guys.

juice_1080

I would tend to agree with you besides the fact that this stuff forms like a crust on my sand bed not like the soft algae look of cyano. It is also in a higher flow area in my tank. I though cyano couldn't settle in a higher flow area?

T

tizzo

post #2
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/312448/cyano-in-high-flow-how-is-it-so

juice_1080

could very well be....too bad they haven't solved the problem either though
I guess I will just have to watch that and see if maybe someone else has any ideas on how to kill it off.

T

tizzo

Since this post, I google the info and the only thing I found to kill it were bacteria killing products, which I wouldn't recommend using, cause you know, all that beneficial bacteria and all.
Good luck.

juice_1080

Originally Posted by GrouperGenius
http:///forum/post/2535069
Juice, by any chance, is that tank near a window?
The closest window is about 6 feet away so I don't think it is stray light syndrome. I have around a 50x turnover rate so this should have nothing to do with flow either. (I also unfortunately have a micro bubble problem so I am able to watch where I al lacking in flow)
This problem has only showed up in the past month. I too thought it was cyano until I noticed how hard the growths were.
Thanks for all the help guys, I just want this stuff gone without killing off anything else in my tank.

Hey I had a similar problem. I posted on here and was accused of being a troll.
There are other posts out there with similar questions and I guess that is why. They felt it was a repeat post. My post is in the fish discussion and it was called black stuff on my sand. I am not sure how to get the link.
I did research and learned that it is the red slime appearing black.
I guess it can take on another color. My started out looking brown too. I did the turkey baster thing and it just broke up. I did manage to use a laddle with holes and shift some of it out but it just grew back. I think it is called cyran or something like that. I turned out my lights for a week and it started to go away. When I thought it was gone, I would turn my light back on and it would be back in an hour or two.
I finally had enough information that the store I shopped at suggested slime eraser. It did the trick in one dose! I was impressed!

Man, this stuff had me baffled and everyone else too. If it is the same thing, this stuff will do the trick and fast. Everyone in my tank seems happy too. It has been a week and it isn't back either. I will try to attach a pic of my tank so you can see what mine looked like. Good luck. I hope this helps. I have replied to others because I think others have the same problem.
I hope it helps!

perfectdark

Dinoflagellates is related to cyano, but its different in its make up. I have no experience in how to get rid of it but I did read it was more difficult than cyano is. It was when you said that it was hard that made me remember I read somewhere about it.

earlybird

Grouper Genius pointed me to an article about it. Do a google search for reef dinoflagellates. I've got some also but I swear juice's is cyano from his description. Cyano forms like a mat and can be scooped out easily when it's on the sand. The stuff that he described as cyano previously sounds more like detritus to me.