what size hole to drill

ibew

I have a iwaki 30 rlxt rated at I think 950gph at 4ft of head I am going to be running it through a SCWD. my ? is I want to drill the back of the tank for overflow what size hole should I drill and what size pipe also the pump has 1inch outlet and a 1inch inlet my SCWD has 1/2 tubes that it looks like 3/4 flex can slip over

ameno

for 1.5" bulkhead you'll probably need a 2 3/8" hole. I'd buy the bulkhead firrst then drill just in case the one you buy is different. But normally it's 2 3/8"

ibew

now another newb ? once water raises to bulkhead level it just dumps down to my sump there isn't anytime of syphon or anything also is there a screen or something to put on it inside the tank. Also is it more benificial to have 2 3/4 drains than one 1-1/2 drain

sign guy

I think loc line makes the strainers for them I have a cupple for 3/4 bulkheads and the work well. I dont think it makes a diff if you have 1 or 2 bulkheads

ameno

you'll get a lot more flow with 1-1.5" bulkhead then with 2- 3/4". I just installed a 1.5" overflow and I'm getting right at 900gph. I might could tweek in some and get 1000gph, but I've got a tee and a few elbows that cut down on flow rate but it all matches good at that with the pump I've got. So the flow you get will all depend on how many restriction you have such as tees and elbows and how much of a horizonal run you have. If it's staight down to the sump 1200 gph easy.
I would put the bulkhead down in the tank far enough that you could add a internial or external dursco or stockman standpipe for noise. otherwise it's probably going to be pretty noisy.

ibew

Originally Posted by ameno
for 1.5" bulkhead you'll probably need a 2 3/8" hole. I'd buy the bulkhead firrst then drill just in case the one you buy is different. But normally it's 2 3/8"
you just need the hole big enough for the male threads on the bulkhead to go through the back of the tank right.