what to put in my filter

b bauer

I have a fluval 404 canister filter prizim skimmer 2 125gph powerheads in a 36gal corner.after reading about carbon on posts here what should I place in my 404 for best results? :thinking:

Originally Posted by b bauer
I have a fluval 404 canister filter prizim skimmer 2 125gph powerheads in a 36gal corner.after reading about carbon on posts here what should I place in my 404 for best results? :thinking:

I would only use carbon when needed. There are debates either way, but I think that it is unessary to run all the time. Carbon will remove iodine and other trace elements from the tank. It is good to run occationally, IMO, to remove cloudiness and discolloration from the water from what your protein skimmer does not remove. Just be sure to use a high quality carbon that is not going to leach phosphates into your tank.

sleasia

I use purigen and reclaim it with bleach...you have to be very careful if you are reclaiming to be sure all the bleach is out before you put it back in the filter...I bleach it , then soak it in dechlorinators 3 times about 8 hours each time.

aztec reef

Just use carbon in it for once a month for a few days. It's no big deal, since that filter is not gonna be the main filtration(and it shouldn't be)
But for high quality try: Chemi-pure or Black magic diamond.