What to put in with my Cowfish?

seanothon

I have had a longhorn Cowfish for a couple weeks now in my 90gl. He is about 3-1/2" and the other things in the tank are a Snowflake eel about 1' and a whitespotted hermit crab a little smaller than a baseball.
I am trying to figure out what would be good in the tank. I was think a wrasse of some type, but I am worried that it may be too fast of a swimmer and stress out the cowfish.
what do you think?

mr.clownfish

ur cow fish is the cutest cow fish i have ever seen.
u can add anything thats not aggressive. maybe a pair of clownfish for your anemone.

aquaknight

The Paddlefin is in the Thalassoma genus, which are know to get a little aggressive. Keep in mind the Cowfish, will turn into a large, foot and a half long fish, so the 90gal isn't a forever home.
If I were to stock;
Cowfish
Snowflake
Blue Spotted Puffer
Cuban Hogfish
Tobacco Basslet

seanothon

Bump. The cowfish is getting bigger and still no tankmate. Thinking of adding another eel, but i would still like another fish in there, as well

srfisher17

I agree with Aquaknight; you;ll need a bigger tank down the road. These are great fish, I really enjoyed the one I had for many years before having to move. They are not real easy fish, but once settled in, live a long time. IMO, a 90 gal is too small for the Emperor, mentioned above. I'm sure you know about their toxic potential, so I'd keep tankmates on the quiet side. I had a copperband butterfly and some similar quiet fish with mine. CBs require the same quiet surroundings. I'd never add a Thalassoma genus wrasse--just too active and aggressive. (Read what LA has to say about the paddlefin--not a good match at all, IMO) A Scotts Fairy Wrasse should do well, though. A lion should do well in this tank too; but I'd stick to a dwarf lion. Dwarf Lions are not aggressive and won't bother anything they can't swallow whole.Volitans grow so fast that the cow fish could be lunch.

seanothon

I figured im going to have to upgrade for the cowfish anyway (one guy i knew had one get to 2') but do you think the angel would be too active or aggresive while it is still on the smaller side? A lionfish could be cool. I think my favorites are the volitans, which is unfortunate. What about a Russell's Lionfish? or any other interesting lions i should check out?

S

saxman

i wouldn't keep any of the large angels with the fish, and an imperator simply gets too large unless you're going to U/G to an 8' tank like a 240.
as for lions, they do grow fast, altho a P. russelii is about 5" smaller than P. volitans (about 10" max), so if you get a small specimen (2"-3"), it should be OK as the cowfish will be growing as well. however, i dunno how fast Ostraciidae
grow, so you might want to check into that, or maybe someone can chime in.

seanothon

Still no decision on this yet. I saw a nice looking stars and stripes puffer at the LFS. Would this be a good match? It was probably close to twice as big as the cowfish.