What Type Of Mushroom?

debdeb

Can anyone identify this mushroom for me? It's pretty large, about 3 1/2" in diameter when fully expanded. It is much greener in the center than this picture show. It glows very flourescent under my actinics. I would love to have more but so far it hasn't reproduced and I'm afraid to frag it.

debdeb

I'm sorry that I took up space repeating the thread. I posted it in this forum and then decided it would be better placed in the Reef forum since I hadn't received a response in several hours. Won't let it happen again.

dogstar

Its OK to post all you want too.
Mushrooms have some of the most jumbled different common names and hard to go by any....
That one is in the genus Actinodiscus, They were previously in a genus called Discosoma.
That one looks nice and a great photo too. They generally are a medium light shroom and mat not do to good under intence lighting. I would not risk fraging it but it does look healthy....

rcbruce

I agree. I wouldn't try fragging it unless you are an expert. It is a beautiful one and I'm sure, given time, it will split on it's own. I'm a great lover of shrooms having 7 different colonies so far, and they split and multiply easy.
PS....don't sweat about repeating the thread. Some ppl just have nothing better to do than complain.

hot883

debdeb, sorry about the repeat thread comment. It just seemed at the time there were like 3 people with 3 threads in different sections and they were getting mad because one of them was not getting any responses.
Ok, to the issue. I have alot of these mushrooms. They do split and detach on their own, I came home one day and seen 2 that had done that. I fragged a bunch of them. Very easy to do and IMO you cannot mess up fragging these guys as they are extremely easy to frag.

debdeb

Hey, thanks for all of the great reply's. I'm glad to see that there are others out there that really like mushrooms. It seems that because they are so "easy" that they are overlooked a bit. I'm just a newbie to the hobby (8 months) so I'm trying to absorb as much as I can. I love all of the different varieties of 'shrooms and want to collect as many different ones as I can.
And good news on my mushroom, I noticed a "baby" last night underneath it, so all is well. :joy: