What's your Water Change Procedure

jw1977

I'm new to this and am curious about how everyone does water changes as this seemt to be the most time consuming part of owning a tank. Do most people use buckets? This may be stupid but how do you get the water from the bucket to the tank. Do you need a separate power head? It sounds like everyone recommends RO/DI water. Do LFS's actually sell this water? I've read about people purchasing their own units. How do these work? Is it just a filter that attached to the faucet or is more complicated?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by jw1977
I'm new to this and am curious about how everyone does water changes as this seemt to be the most time consuming part of owning a tank. Do most people use buckets? This may be stupid but how do you get the water from the bucket to the tank. Do you need a separate power head? It sounds like everyone recommends RO/DI water. Do LFS's actually sell this water? I've read about people purchasing their own units. How do these work? Is it just a filter that attached to the faucet or is more complicated?
I mix my water in a 32 gallon plastic trash can that I bought solely for this purpose. Be sure to use a seperate bucket for water removed from the tank. You will need a powerhead and a heater. Water should be mixed for no less than 24hrs. As for the RO/DI, you can buy the water by the gallon at Walmart or similar stores for roughly .30 a gallon. You can buy your own unit on this site, which will pay for itself in no time. You hook it up to a water source that you don't regularly use. The water is pushed through a membrane that removes ALL contaminants. You are left with absolutely pure water.

t316

sepulatian said:
As for the RO/DI, you can buy the water by the gallon at Walmart or similar stores for roughly .30 a gallon.
Wow...I'm getting $crewed. My lfs is .55/gal on fresh water and .95/gal on salt. I just got my own RODI unit, but have not got it up and running yet.

sepulatian

T316 said:
Originally Posted by sepulatian
As for the RO/DI, you can buy the water by the gallon at Walmart or similar stores for roughly .30 a gallon.
Wow...I'm getting $crewed. My lfs is .55/gal on fresh water and .95/gal on salt. I just got my own RODI unit, but have not got it up and running yet.
Yeah, I have seen it as low as .25/gallon...........sorry T316 your LFS is charging too much. I am glad that you got your own unit though!

apos

I've read on wwmedia that you should aerate and buffer your RO/DI water after it comes out into your container: true? It sort of makes sense I guess: a cheap powerhead in the garbage can will aerate (adding oxygen and removing carbon dioxide), and it can't hurt to buffer water change water (though I question the point of doing this to topoff water) since RO/DI water will basically be super duper soft.
Why only 24 hours? I've heard that it can sit in the dark for weeks, once mixed. And if you add a powerhead to your garbage can...? Also, how do you work unsalted topoff water vs salted water change water?
And how can you be sure that your trash cans won't have antibacterial/mold/mildew compounds in the plastic? I know that anything "food safe" will work, but I've never seen anyone eat out of a garbage can and so I've never seen any garbage can with this written on it. :) I know that those cheap kiddie swimming pools are death to fish for precisely this reason: they have antifungal stuff right in the plastic that leeches into the water and kills fish over time.
I'm currently the owner of three 5gal buckets for my 55gal water changes (a full 5 gal is about as much as I can lift safely with some control). I use two for mixing water and one for waste water. For topoff I siphon right into the sump, and for water changes I siphon out about 10 gal (5 gal into my waste bucket, dump, 5 more gal, dump) and then replace the water with my two premixed 5 gals. I got the 5gals cheap at a ***** that was going out of biz.
My future plans will involve getting an ro/di and then using the garbage can method if I can find one that's safe. Not sure how I'll work topoff vs. salted water. What I'd like to do is drill some holes into my floor to my basement so that I can attach a permanent waste water siphon line (and thus not have to carry buckets of waste water down to the basement sink) and maybe even get a pump to pump up water from the basement and into the tank (I can switch off the source from using salted vs. unsalted topoff water as needed). Ultimately, I'd like to put my entire sump in the basement, taking the noise of the pumps out of our dining room entirely, leaving only the noise of the overflow/drain. This will, of course, require getting a fairly strong pump, since it will add at least seven vertical feet to the return line length.
I haven't sold the wife on drilling holes in the floor though. :) My next step will be to convince her to at least let me punch a hole in the wall for a sort of "water outlet." :)

sepulatian

I have kept water mixing for a month. Keep a loose lid on it to keep out dust/pet hair/ whatever else. You absolutely MUST use a powerhead in the water to mix it. No need to buffer saltwater at all. If your PH is low then it is likely an issue within the tank. Many/most people on here use plastic garbage cans for their water mixing. We have no issues with our water quality.

lesleybird

T316 said:
I read how one person said that the savings on the RO/DI paid for itself in no time??? I have not found that to be the case if one changes the filters on the unit as often as needed. The filters take away the cost savings after spending a couple of hundred dollars on the unit. I do not think I save anything except for time and my back carrying water from the fish store as my store also sells RO/DI saltwater for a dollar a gallon and plain RO/DI for a half dollar a gallon. Lesley

apos

I know some garbage cans are safe, I'm just worried about making sure I find one that isn't treated with something. Most people seem to have mentioned rubbermaid, so I'll probably check those out.
Do you use one garbage can to collect RO/DI and then use that to topoff, and then mix it with salt in another can for water changes? Or do you mix right in the one can and just topoff separately... or something else?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Apos
I know some garbage cans are safe, I'm just worried about making sure I find one that isn't treated with something. Most people seem to have mentioned rubbermaid, so I'll probably check those out.
Do you use one garbage can to collect RO/DI and then use that to topoff, and then mix it with salt in another can for water changes? Or do you mix right in the one can and just topoff separately... or something else?
Separate cans. One for RO/DI collection, one for mixing and another to remove dirty water from your tank.

sepulatian

Lesleybird said:
Originally Posted by T316
I read how one person said that the savings on the RO/DI paid for itself in no time??? I have not found that to be the case if one changes the filters on the unit as often as needed. The filters take away the cost savings after spending a couple of hundred dollars on the unit. I do not think I save anything except for time and my back carrying water from the fish store as my store also sells RO/DI saltwater for a dollar a gallon and plain RO/DI for a half dollar a gallon. Lesley
This site sells a 20gallon per day unit for a little over $80 https://www.saltwaterfish.com/
They have a larger unit as well.

Sorry to bring this thread back up....I read something about keeping saltwater, maybe it was in this thread.
My question is do you have to keep the stored saltwater mixture mixing? I have (4) 5 gal containers of saltwater waiting for my water change. They are loosely capped, so will they be okay just sitting? Do I need to check the sg? Help please and thanks in advance.

S

swalchemist

Yes keep it moving with a powerhead and use a heater that way it will be 100% ready when you need it

Originally Posted by SWAlchemist
Yes keep it moving with a powerhead and use a heater that way it will be 100% ready when you need it

ok, I screwed them up? They've just been sitting for a week in the containers. Gah!

S

swalchemist

I have actually had to use water that set for a week without movement and I had no problems with it, but I make sure to keep a pump in there now just safer.

adurost

http:///forum/post/2397700
Separate cans. One for RO/DI collection, one for mixing and another to remove dirty water from your tank.
This are elementary questions, but I would really like to know what is working successfully for other folks...
I don't have a RO/DI yet (I'm carting 5G jugs to the store and filling them for $0.50/gal and then dumping them into my 20 gal tub to mix) and I want to figure out all that I will need to make it run efficiently before I purchase a unit. You mentioned that you mix your SW in a 32G trashcan; how big is your container for RO/DI water? Do you just dip a bucket in the RO/DI container to remove a gallon or so for daily top-offs? How do you move your RO/DI water to your container for mixing, and then the fresh SW to your DT? Please tell me there is a easier way than bucket by bucket!

I bought 15' of 3/4" tubing and tried using an extra Rio 2100 to pump fresh SW into the DT... the water came out like a powerwasher jet! I slowed it down by crimping the tube, but I wasn't able to stop it all together, which made it challenging when the tank was full. Could I put a ball valve on the end so that I could turn it off the water flow long enough to carry the hose back to the container in the laundry room and unplug the pump?
I have a 5G bucket that I use for the dirty water (4 careful trips through the house in order to dump it outside every week!). I don't suppose there is any easier way for that step?