When can I add a cleaner crew?

cyn

I am new to this hobby, my tank has been up for over 2 months and all of the parameters are great and very stable. (the only one I have not tested is Phos.) I plan on getting a test kit for that this weekend. I am curious to know if I can begin adding a clean er crew and anenomies yet. The tank is a 55 with about 65lbs of LR, combination cc and ls about 3inches total. I only have a brittle star, midas goby and some mushrooms that came with the rock. At night when I peek with a flashlight, the pods are plentiful along with bristle worms and small snails. If you all need more info, just ask. I really want to do this right!

dad

CYC, I just replyed to a post where you was asking on how much ls to add? hummmmmm
I'm now confused.
But never the less, I think in response to the post: I feel like you started out on the wrong foot!
I do not want to sound harsh but, the mixture of cc and ls are a no no. You will regret it later.
How did you cycle your tank? Or did it?

cyn

I cycled the tank with LR, and it has cycled. I want to change to LS, but can not afford the carrib.sea stuff. So I am trying to get southdown from you know where. I guess I am impatient. Are you saying that I should wait until I change out the cc? I really apreciate all of the help, I read alot before I started, but I guess the info was dated. I really want to do this right.

dad

I understand now, ;)
This is what I would do. I'm sure others have other opinions.
since you have already spent money on the ls and you are on a tight bubget, stop where you are at and do not buy anything else.
get rid of all the cc you can.
It will be a slow process.
buy a small fish net and start sifting through the sand. (straining out the cc).
get rid off all you can. then build up your dsb to about 4" with southdown.
all of this will take alot of time and patiece. do it alittle at a time, this may keep the cloudy water down.
once you get you dsb wait a few days. then you can start thinking about a clean up crew.
if you want to talk more i'll give you my e-mail addy.

cyn

Actually, I am still trying to get SD sand. I may have to go with the Carrib. Sea 40lbs at a time, as the SD is really hard to get here. What grain size is best? I have read alot about sugar grain sized sand, and mine is a little bigger, sorta like cornmeal sized. Should I just ditch it all and start over? I really apreciate all your advice!

skipb

How big is the CC? I have seen CaribSea CC that is very small size wise, almost like large sized sand. Is this size ok to mix with LS?

predator

Cyn, siffting through and getting the cc out is a good idea.But you can keep the cc.I know of 2 beautiful tank that are not only mature but healthy that use the ls-cc mix.I'also have been to;d by Adrian that you don't want to add to much sand at one time.About a half inch a week at the most.The only problem I see is that the cc will push it's way to the top.No biggie!!!
As far as anemonies go...What kind of lighting you got?They need ggod lighting.And be careful with that brittle star.SOMEare not reef safe.

cyn

Rut roe... what type is not reef safe? Mine is greenish grey with yellow spikes. As far as the lights go, I think I have that covered. I have 220w total, 110 of blue actinic and 110 of 10K daylight. Since I updated the lights the coraline has boomed! I even discovered what appears to be a lps and another ?coral? it is less than a half inch high and looks like a little pink tree.. I am now searching to ID it. Any advice is apreciated much.

karlas

if u cant find sd, i have some regular sand that i had mixed in with ls my lfs sold it for about 2.00 bag and it is reef safe. about 15 lbs is this sand.(just cant remember the name of it) also the regular sand will eventually turn live so for money reasons u can mix the 2

vkesu

I don't think this will be enough lighting for an anenome. And...I have had cc for 4 years with no trouble. I do vacumm up at the surface a small amount when I go over the rocks and do water changes. We have never had nitrate troubles, but we stick to a good maintence schedule. I'll put sand in my next one so the animals can do it themselves. 4 years ago no one knew about southdown and everyone we knew was using cc. Don't get stressed, just take care of it when you do the rocks.