When to Change RoDi Filters

cglover226

I have a 5 stage 75 gpd rodi system for a little over 2 months now.. so far i've made a total of about 150 gallons of water or so... my tank now broke out in diatoms and i was wondering if it was time to change the filters in the rodi system yet? (i live in new york city and was told we have pretty good water quality) how long do the filters work and how do i know when to change them?

pbienkiewi

Get a TDS (total disolved solids) meter to determine if your filters will need to be replaced. RO I believe should not be over 10 and DI should be at 0 TDS. RODI should have a output of 0 TDS too.

richl

sounds much too soon to be a filter issue. what are your water parameters? I have an RO unit and I get this problem a bit because of overfeeding and resulting high nitrates.

nordy

Agree w/Rich. I recently replaced all the filters and the membrane on my ro/di unit and I still get some diatom growth, again probably because I feed too much.

peter1215

diatoms blooms are not necessarily due to your RO water quality. It also occurs in new tanks that are just breaking in. how long have you been running your DT? It could also be too many nutrients in the water due to overfeeding or an overpopulated DT.