Which size tank to buy?

lesleybird

Hi, Will some of you please tell me if I should go longer or wider? Here are my choices it is between these two Oceanic reef ready tanks.....
1. First there is the one that is six feet long and only 18.5 inches wide and 29 inches high that is 150 gallons. The issue I have with this one is that it is too deep as my arms are not long enough to touch the bottom (guess I could learn to live with this), and I am wondering if the tank is too narrow for a majestic angelfish that will grow to 10 inches long who is now about 5 1/2 inches long in my 90 gallon?
2. There is a tank that is 156 gallons that is 5 feet long and 24.5 wide and 25 inches high (I could reach the bottom with my arm)...only drawback is that it is only 5 feet long. I kind of like the idea of having a tank that is 24.5 inches wide as the other option (18.5 inches wide like in the tank mentioned above and like in my 90 gal. is seeming narrower every day).
I need some advice from someone who had been in this hobby for at least a few years and has had some tanks in this size range. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I could afford a larger tank but do not want to have to carry more than 6 five gallon saltwater buckets from my fish store for water changes and the next larger tank sizes would me 8 buckets for water changes and I am not willing to burden myself with that much as I and my husband and my CRV can't cope with more than 6 (now we only do 4 for the 90 gallon tank). Thanks in advance, Lesley

garnet13aj

I could afford a larger tank but do not want to have to carry more than 6 five gallon saltwater buckets from my fish store for water changes and the next larger tank sizes would me 8 buckets for water changes
If you are getting that large of a tank I would suggest spending the extra money on a RO/DI unit. After the initial cost it shouldn't cost you that much more to change filters. That way there is no extra hauling of water. It's so much less of a pain that it is definitely worth it. It would definitely decrease stress as far as tank maintenance goes...

lesleybird

We have a reverse osmosis unit under the sink that holds 3 gallons....only makes a few gallons per day that we use for drinking water and top off water for the tank. Where does one get a r/o unit that makes water fast enough for a 30 to 50 gallon water change? And do you leave it hooked up all the time? Where does one store it? I don't want to have to mix a garbage can full of r/o water when we have a fish store 6 miles away that sells salt water for a dollar a gallon. Lesley

garnet13aj

So you would rather pay 30-50 dollars every time you do a water change than set up a garbage can to fill up water in the garage or out back (unless you're like me and live in an appartment)? Seems like a huge hassle to me and a huge expense when most RO/DI units would only cost about the price of 4-6 water changes...I'm sure if you searched the internet for "RO/DI unit" you would come up with a system...

reefer545

I would go with the wider and less deep tank. Easyier managability when working in it. You will also have greater light penetration. It is worth the extra water changing either way.

Originally Posted by REEFER545
I would go with the wider and less deep tank. Easyier managability when working in it. You will also have greater light penetration. It is worth the extra water changing either way.
I second that!

92cg60

When it comes to a new tank/dimensions that you really want I'd try to avoid compromising if possible. It's a big purchase, so if you can afford it go with what you want. Sounds like a 72x24.5x25 would work for ya... about 190 gallons.
And like someone else mentioned... look into a good RO/DI unit to save yourself all those trips to a LFS to buy water you could be making at home. It'll eventually pay for itself and then some..

ophiura

Originally Posted by Lesleybird
We have a reverse osmosis unit under the sink that holds 3 gallons....only makes a few gallons per day that we use for drinking water and top off water for the tank. Where does one get a r/o unit that makes water fast enough for a 30 to 50 gallon water change? And do you leave it hooked up all the time? Where does one store it? I don't want to have to mix a garbage can full of r/o water when we have a fish store 6 miles away that sells salt water for a dollar a gallon. Lesley

There are a huge number of RO/DI units that do 50 to 100g per day. Just look around a bit (check the aquarium supplies here or just do some searches). I have mine ( a Kent Maxxima) hooked up to the water line at my washing machine in the garage. Fills a 30+g trash can. I fill buckets from there but it wouldn't be hard at all to plumb in a pump directly to a container for a mix tank.
I would honestly suggest that you do this and mix your own water. Really, I would almost say that such a large tank is not the right thing for you if you don't want to mix your own salt water. But that is me....

trillyen

why not go with a 180 gallon thats wide and long i know you said you didnt wanna carry the thing so hire some 1 to do it for you if i had the money id go with the 180 or 240 then you would probably never have to upgrade again!!
p.s. i got my ro/di 4 stage unit from premium aquatics.com and it was only like 150 bucks and its a 50gpd system but i wouldnt let mine run all day but just for what i nedded!!!