Which Tang is the hardiest?

katz

I need help. I like all of these tangs but would like a hardy tang. Any info would be appreciated.
1st choice Yelow Eye Tang
2nd choice Gold rim tang
3rd choice Sailfin tang
I would like to have two tang in my tank. I am going to play russian ruolette and have a blue hippo along with one of the other tangs as listed.
tank specs: 125g 6ft long
adding tangs last after tank up and running for six months
Katz

kevin34

I am pretty sure that the sailfin and yellow eye are fairy hearty. The gold rim however is extremely difficult to keep.

sc0rp_xiii

sailfin/yellow tangs are just as suspectible to disease/problems as other tangs but are considered more hardy b/c they recover better and respond better to meds/quarantine from what I have read

renogaw

my kole is a fighter, i got him with hlle and fin damage, and now every once in a while it will get a scratch but heals up in a day or two. awesome, beautiful fish.

saltfish123

my hippo tang and sailfin were the fisrt additions to my 125 fowlr ( which had been moved w/ water ) they are fine together
- when the hippo broke out in ick 6 months ago the sailfin didn't even have a blemmish on him ( i checked )

stanlalee

zebrasoma (sailfin), bristletooth/Ctenochaetus (kole tang) and Naso are pretty hardy as far as tangs go. Acanthurus are less forgiving and the Gold rim in particular has a very poor survival history in captivity. probably worse than the achillis.

sepulatian

What sized tank is this? How much LR do you have and how long has this tank been running? You cannot go by " what tang is the most hardy" You have to go by which fish's needs you can accomodate. For example, given the right environment a hippo tang is very hardy. Place him in a 40 gallon and he will begin to decline in a few weeks. Tangs are open water swimmers and they also need ample amounts of mature LR. Just so you know, they are likely to come in with ich. Before you buy one, please set up a quarantine tank.

renogaw

Originally Posted by Katz
tank specs: 125g 6ft long
adding tangs last after tank up and running for six months
Katz
sep :)

katz

Okay, I have 210lbs of live rock in my 125g 6ft long tank. The tank has been operating for two months. I plan on adding the tangs last as I am waiting on the tank to mature. I am going to quaratine all of my fish.
I am currently going towards the yellow eye tang and one hippo tang.
My other live stock is one blue green chormis, two black and white clowns. one purple filmenta(sp), cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp, peppermint shrimp, diamond goby, snails, one emerald green crab,and assorted hermit crabs.
All of this came from by 54g corner tank. Oh and a 20in bristle star.
Katz

renogaw

holy cow, a 20" star? almost need a tank by itself LOL.
i love my kole, it is such an awesome fish so hopefully i can help sway you to it :)

katz

Renogaw, Can I see a pic of your Kole? I would love to see a better pic then what is on this site.
Katz

aquageek

I think Purple Tangs are extremely hardy. I would get one of them. Mine is awesome. They can be agressive though.....