White smoke coming from live rock...

27mtaylor

About 20 minutes ago, my wife noticed white smoke coming from a small hole in a piece of live rock. It pumps out a noticable amout every few seconds. I noticed a small white critter coming to the tip of the hole. It has 5 short hair like projections coming off of it. It doesn't stay at the mouth of the hole very long before it retreats back in to pump some more smoke. Do y'all have any idea what it could be?

albfishin'

Vermetid snail???? Are there tentacles coming out of the hole? or another hole on the rock?
I have one that has tentacles that "comb" the substrate and pull it back to the rock and every 5min or so, it takes a crap out of another hole. White tube comes out of the hole and shoots crap into the water.
If this sounds familiar, I've had no probs, it just stinks because it keeps "stuff" in the h20 column.

27mtaylor

The smoke burst have decreased in volume now. It's so weird. I comes to the mouth of the hole and stays for several seconds and then goes back in. Its hard to explain what it looks like. It seems to be a worm or some sort. The face or butt that I see seems to be almost heart shaped with one side having two hair like projections and the other side having 3. It is about 1/8 the size of a pencil eraser(for lack of anything to compare it to). For some reason, I am so amazed by this.

fishwater

This exact same thing happened to my tank last night and I can't figure out what it is. Did you ever find out what it was? I wasn't able to get a good look at the critter, but I did see something moving in the hole. The rock also has several other similiar holes. Anyone know what this is? Thanks

teamsleep

I have had something similar coming from one of my Astrea snails. Every so often it will just push his shell forward and then move it quickly and smoke will come out of it. I have actually seen a few of mine do that. As for your case I think it could be some sort of pod digging around in the hole in the rock and by the fast movements of the pod it is throwing around rock dust. Dont know for sure just my opinion.

wattsupdoc

It's an alien.
Didnt you see the report on the evening news last night about the sightings and the plot to take over was revealed. They're breading in our SW aquariums and gonna come out and drill small holes in our brains and... well.... um....