Who makes the best Skimmer PERIOD?

crzyfshygy

I figured this hobby is hard enough with out having to waste more money on worthless skimmers.
WHO MAKES THE BEST OVERALL 100gl OR MORE?????
Everone join in for opinions!!!!

T

tizzo

In sump or out??
In the tank, I'd go with Aqua C Remora Pro
In sump, I'd go with Euroreef Or even it's knockoff brand that I can't remember the name of. Works the same, just cheaper.

crzyfshygy

I am running a ETSS REEF DEVIL. Still breakin in, but has a awesome foam. It is plummed external on a 65gl reef.
I went to the SHEDD AQUARIUM in Chicago yesterday( I am on Vacation)and they were running ETSS skimmers. This was a 20million $$$$ Museum

cartman101

Originally Posted by I<3Fish
Are Turboflotor Skimmers any good?
I have one, a pain at first setting up because of all the wet foam, but its generally good. It cost around $200 something but if price isn't hell for you then go with a better skimmer.
I give the turboflotor skimmer : 4 outa 5

birdy

Actually probably a Bubble king or a Deltec, they are about the best around, but $$$.

i<3fish

Originally Posted by Cartman101
I have one, a pain at first setting up because of all the wet foam, but its generally good. It cost around $200 something but if price isn't hell for you then go with a better skimmer.
I give the turboflotor skimmer : 4 outa 5
What do you mean by the wet foam? Why is that hard to set up?

thegrog

SEACLONE!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Seriously, AquaC, EuroReef and Tunzee are my votes. Can't go wrong with any of those three.

bigmac

:) I have a buddy who runs a Bubble King. These are supposed to be the best skimmers made. I think he paid 2500.00 for the skimmer and the system is about 400 gals or less.
He said his old ASM skimmer works just as good.
If I were going to buy a new skimmer I'd probably go with a Deltec or another Geo.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by promisetbg
Top 3 IMO
Euro-reef
Aqua-C
Deltec=$$
ASM is the ER knock-off...cheaper and thinner acrylic.
I agree with some of your choices, but please let's get the statement correct......EuroReef is NOT the "ORIGINAL" skimmer everyone has copied off of.......Deltec is the "ORIGINAL" that EuroReef and ASM has copied off of......... European engineering and American knockoffs!!!!!!!!!!

Deltecs are very nice, but a bit pricey IMO, EuroReef again in my opinion is very pricey compared to an ASM and who honestly cares about the material the skimmer is made of. The material is not thinner they are totally 2 different types of materials used to make the skimmers as well.....Both can be run externally or in sump if properly planned, and to boot, why pay EuroReefs exhuberant price when customer service is lacking????????
Bubble Kings are "qouted" to be the tops and they should be for the price they are fetching......GEO on the other hand are IMO better skimmers and better made than any EuroReef and the price is very reasonable as well......
It's hard to say what the best skimmer actually is, depends alot on your tank, and style of skimming and what your really after....If your after hard aggressive skimming than you might want to look at a Beckett skimmer like a MRC or Barrs....If I were to go that route, I'd choose a Barrs skimmer over MRC anyday.....Both are very nice skimmers though.....Beckett skimmers process more water than a needlewheel and when it comes to actual skimming capacity a Beckett will handle more water... They need good strong pressure pumps to run them and can be noisey.
Needlewheel skimmers are very good at skimming and use smaller pumps, but actually can't atest for if they are any more energy effiecent than a big pump....With a big needlewheel skimmer you could have multiple pumps running!!!!!!!!! These styles of skimmers are easier to tune and less tempermental as a Beckett can be

duke13

Originally Posted by TheGrog
SEACLONE!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Seriously, AquaC, EuroReef and Tunzee are my votes. Can't go wrong with any of those three.

SKILTER rules!!!!!!

mkengr45

I have a Euro-reef and have been very impressed with its performance. They are awesome. The bubbles are so fine it looks like the chamber is filled with milk. GREAT SKIMMER

bigmac

Originally Posted by mkengr45
I have a Euro-reef and have been very impressed with its performance. They are awesome. The bubbles are so fine it looks like the chamber is filled with milk. GREAT SKIMMER

No doubt ER's are good skimmers, I used one for 5 years.....you pay a little more, their well built and a good skimmers but god forbid you have a problem with it.....There is no customer service.

crzyfshygy

I have to say that I owned a 65gl Coralife skimmer(still own it) and that thing was a great skimmer. The cup filled up in 4-5days and the smell was horrific. I bought a ETSS reef devil because I thought it would be better. It foams really well but the foam does not last long(3 days so far)
I think that the Coralife is actually better. I was happy to get away from the needle wheel because I did not want another PC of equipment to cause it to skim. Just another thing to break. Thats why I went Downdraft........but the downside to that is....nothing other the way the water flows causes it to skim, however it will not stay consistant. With an needle wheel, it will.

caz

Originally Posted by crzyfshygy
I have to say that I owned a 65gl Coralife skimmer(still own it) and that thing was a great skimmer. The cup filled up in 4-5days and the smell was horrific. I bought a ETSS reef devil because I thought it would be better. It foams really well but the foam does not last long(3 days so far)
I think that the Coralife is actually better. I was happy to get away from the needle wheel because I did not want another PC of equipment to cause it to skim. Just another thing to break. Thats why I went Downdraft........but the downside to that is....nothing other the way the water flows causes it to skim, however it will not stay consistant. With an needle wheel, it will.
Hey man... I just got one of those (coralife) from a guy locally within the last week. I managed to hook it up tonight. I can't keep the cup from overflowing. I feel like an idiot, but what am I doing wrong? The intake tubing between the pump and intake is like 8" or so. Any advice?

unleashed

I have the venturi on my reef this bugger kicks butt when it comes to skimming.but I also like nautilous