Why is carbon bad for a tank?

galina

I read somewhere that carbon filtration isn't very good for a reef tank.. why is this?
Galina

25gator

it removes the good with the bad. we dont wont this now do we? (trace elements) ;)

That is very debatable -
some say it takes alot of good things out of the water
Others say it keeps your water clear
I read a post where one of the "sharks" says he keeps some in his sump all the time--- so it cant be to bad!!!! :) :)

wamp

I think that is opinion based on others research. If you want to run carbon, run it. It is true that carbon removes some trace element and "strips" water of some nutrients but.. most of these are replaced with water changes.
I run it periodically and have seen no adverse affects on my tank.

jakob4001

well there is a differnece between 24/7 & periodically...mostly depends on who you choose to beleive...do some farther research & asking around & decide for yourself; we keep carbon in our canister filter 24/7 on the 135 reef tank...probably as long as you perform regular water changes and add chem supplements, having it shoud not be a concern and will aid in keeping water clean...

predator

I have two canister filters on my sump and they stay filled with carbons and a phosphate spounge. I'v never had a problem out of continuosly using them. And have never had phosphates or any other water problem. But it depends on the tank, you and what works best. Always research though!!!

luke

Carbon can be considered bad on two levels:
1. The stripping argument presented here. This, as others have said, is debatable. Using a supplement or WC will solve the problem. Protien skimmers also stripp trace elements. People don't seem to be nearly as worried about them.
2. Bad quality carbon is REALLY bad for your tank. It contains large qualntities of phosphates. This is really bad when you spend extra time and money on RO/DI type waters. Good quality carbon (Hydro carbon 2, Kent reef carbon, others) will not leach anything.
I personnaly love carbon. Using it infrequantly CAN lead to problems by removing yellowing elements thereby allowing more light into the tank. If the carbon is used often enough or for short periods it won't be a problem. I try to use it 100% of the time. It keeps the water looking clean. Carbon does not harm anything in the tank (if you keep T.E. up)
Luke

salty rick

I have used carbon 24/7 for months at a time and not used it for months at a time. I could not tell a difference. The key is getting carbon that says it has no phosphates in it.
When I have run carbon, my phosphates stayed below 0.1 mg/l

volitan

I've run carbon 24/7 for the life of my reef tank. I've never seen any problems that were related to it.

I don't know this as fact but i have heard in salt water carbon only last for about 1 hour then it needs to be changed. I was told this by a cleaning guy That I work for. I never used carbon on any of my tanks other that my moms gold fish tank. I've seen bad things happen in a planted tank before with carbon. But in my reef I trying to convince my self to try it. My water has a yellow ting to it.

k.lee

Originally posted by Predator:
<strong>I have two canister filters on my sump and they stay filled with carbons and a phosphate spounge. I'v never had a problem out of continuosly using them. And have never had phosphates or any other water problem. But it depends on the tank, you and what works best. Always research though!!!</strong><hr></blockquote>
How's your luck with the "phospahate sponge"? Any recommended brands? I think my public water has a good supply of phospahates, and have had problems with filamentuous algae in the past. TIA.
<new sig with my STOOF> :p

k.lee

Originally posted by Coraltrapper5020:
<strong>I don't know this as fact but i have heard in salt water carbon only last for about 1 hour then it needs to be changed. I was told this by a cleaning guy That I work for. I never used carbon on any of my tanks other that my moms gold fish tank. I've seen bad things happen in a planted tank before with carbon. But in my reef I trying to convince my self to try it. My water has a yellow ting to it.</strong><hr></blockquote>
Chemi-Pure is quite good in water which is discolored. Just rinse it (of course).
What Luke has said her, IMO, is heads-on. ;)