Why?

Anyone know why in the world the black tang is so darn expensive???
And for that matter, why do people pay such a price for them?
What is so special about them?
Just curious! :D
Thanks in advance!

S

smartorl

I have no idea why in this particular case but usually it is because they are harder to breed or the captive breeding population is small. Just a hunch.

I keep seeing people say "black tangs are sooo awesome!" "They are the best tangs!"
"If I could afford it, I would totally get one!"
I don't understand. Yeah, they are cool, but not $400 cool

rara12

They are very rare to see in the wild so seeing them in the trade is also rare. And most salt water fish are not bred.

Originally Posted by rara12
They are very rare to see in the wild so seeing them in the trade is also rare. And most salt water fish are not bred.
I didn't realize that most salt water fish are not bred...
Huh.

Originally Posted by Dmitry
$400 isn't even the most expensive fish out there!
Yes, I realize this... but the black tang looks to me exactly like the yellow tang, which is like 25 bucks. So I was just wondering what the big deal was. But if they are rare, then that makes sense.

fishkid2

yeh lets buy a $400 dollar fish then have it die when u dont have a guarantee on it any more.
just wanted to say that.

Originally Posted by fishkid2
yeh lets buy a $400 dollar fish then have it die when u dont have a guarantee on it any more.
just wanted to say that.
Ok, Mr. Uppity. Didn't say that I was planning on buying it. I was just very curious as to why anyone would pay that much for a fish that seems to be fairly plain.

fishkid2

i did not say ur buying it. i was trying to be funny on how u can buy a $400 dollar fish and it like dies in like a week then u would be $400 in the hole.

srfisher17

A coin collectors could loose a $1000 coin too. A $400 fish may be pocket change for some folks. There are lots of very expensive fish; and always fishkeepers who will pay the price just because or the rarity. There are many reasons a fish can be in short supply. Maybe they are rare in areas collectors catch fish, just plain rare, frequent deeper water, difficult to capture or transport, etc.,etc.