unknown

I currently have a 55 FOWLR
I have a
Niger trigger 6"
Humu Picasso Trigger 6"
x2 Domino Damsels 3"
Snowflake Eel 18-20"
x2 False Percs. 2"
I am removing the damsels and the pers are going into a 10 gallon.
My question is, Can I get a green wolf Eel? Will he get along with the others??
I have about 55-65lbs of rock in the tank and there is plenty of room to hide.
The wolf Eel wil be about 20-25" long
Does this sound like a problem to anyone??
Alos what is the best way to capture damsles without removing all your rock??
Also has anyone had any experiance with pipefish?? Will they be ok with clownfish?? in a reef
Vince.

fishamajig

why not just leave the damsels in there for food. i have never had one but a friend of mine did and all i can tell you about a wolf eel is they tear everything apart. so if you have anything small at all i would take it out of the tank( or leave it for food)

unknown

Ok thxs for the help so far
Anyone else have anything to say about the wolf Eel and if I can get one or not??
Vince.

Well look at this way, a wolf eel has an incredible appitite and if it will fit in there mouth they will probably try eating it. Also wolf eels are not true eels they are in the blenny family.
I had a wolf in with a snowflake for about six months. The wolf was out competing the SFE for the food, he was even beating the triggers to it some times. I got tired of him in the tank and moved to the 150 with a fimbriated, they were both such aggressive feeders there was never a problem. But I had a hole I missed in the top and the wolf jumped, I didn't find him in time. Make sure you have a secure top and that the SFE can get food as well. The best way I can describe them is an eel with the habits and mouth of a grouper :p
HTH
-Brian

unknown

I think I am going to try it.
thx for the advice.
Tank will be selled up good. I am just worried about like you said the wolf Eel out competing the SFE for food.
My SFE is kinda timid and am looking for solutions to this feeding problem.
Anyone got answers??
Vince.

jumpfrog

I think the wolf eels are great but they are big eaters and are extremely quick. If you have morays make sure you spot feed them with a stick so they get food. They won't compete well against a carpet blenny. Mixing relatively docil clowns with those predators will result in casualties in the long run.
Good Luck!

liontamer

Yea remove the smaller fish and yer tank might not collapse from an overbioload for maybe 3-4 monthes. Wolves are ugly looking things though...cool, but ugly

unknown

Liontamer, are you saying that my tank even after I remove the percs and the wolf eats the dominos the tank will still collapse??
Kinda confused??
I went out and bought the Wolf today and he is doing great. he established his territory in like 5 minutes. and the SFE found his NEW home in the tank LOL.

You got one thing right, wolf eel's are not the prettiets things in this hobbie but they are so cool. Whatching him eat is like whatching a jaws movie LOL. he shreds the food.
What is a good staple diet for the wolf?? Right now I have been giving him a small chunk of cyclopzees, nice chunk of mysis shrip(frozen), and a silverslide or two. Not all in the same day though.
Also how big do they get. never found much info on the full grow size of them. Can my 55 gallon support a full grown wolf Eel??
Vince.

moraym

Wolfs should get to a little over a foot and a half. I'd say your 55g tank is a good tank to house one.

jumpfrog

I feed my wolf a variety: Frozen silversides (the big ones or sand eels), frozen krill, whole shrimp and a mix of seafood from Walmart. Ours here has a gumbo mix that includes octopus, oyster, scallop, crab, fish. All of my predators love the stuff. I soak everything in a home blend which includes garlic juice and other vitamins. Keeps everyone very healthy.
Good luck with your wolf!