Worried about one of my new picassos

aviator

Hi all,
I'm have a real problem with a new addition to my tank. first, specs:
this is a 180 gallon tank that has been up and running for about 6 months. It has a 30 gallon sump and two additional large power heads to ensure good water movement. This is my second tank. I have a fully mature 55 gallon full of happy campers. in the 180 I have 2 damsels, a lawnmower, Niger trigger and a rusty angel in this tank for some time. They all seem to be happy. Regular water changes and checks on water quality keep the tank in good condition until it starts to truly mature. We have tons of snails reproducing in the tank and recently added a much coveted pair of Picasso clowns along with a diamond Gobey and a carpet anemone that was outgrowing it's tank - we felt it had a better chance in our big tank even though it's still fairly young - as far a tanks go - since we watch water quality like a hawk.
the anemone is doing well, as well as the Diamond Gobey.
One clown (the larger one) is doing quite well. the smaller of the two is not doing so hot. he is at the top of the tank, moving slowly and being lethargic. everything was added to the tank after a nice slow 3 hour acclimation period.
We now have the lights off hoping to lower his stress level.
does anyone have any other suggestions? we REALLY don't want to lose this guy. he was high dollar and would be the first fatality in this tank.

flower

To be honest, all my clowns ever did was hang out in the upper corner of the tank and do nothing..just tred water day in and day out. My clowns were in my tank 6 years. If another fish came near their corner they would defend it, otherwise they do nothing at all...day or night.
Does the fish eat? That would be the only indicator of something really wrong....and if it less than 24 hours since it was released into the QT/tank it still isn't time to worry since it may not eat until the next day after purchase.

aviator

Well, it has been less than 24 hours, but initially, we was swimming around with the other one just fine. he did eat yesterday evening with the rest of the brood, but he seems to really be going downhill.
He is now resting on a piece of live rock, not really moving. his tail is becoming transparent. I think he's in the final throws of life, but I desperately want to save him. I will give him another night before messing with him, but I'm concerned that he won't make it through the night.
I certainly hope I'm wrong.
thank you for the reply, Flower!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator http:///t/391063/worried-about-one-of-my-new-picassos#post_3466263
Well, it has been less than 24 hours, but initially, we was swimming around with the other one just fine. he did eat yesterday evening with the rest of the brood, but he seems to really be going downhill.
He is now resting on a piece of live rock, not really moving. his tail is becoming transparent. I think he's in the final throws of life, but I desperately want to save him. I will give him another night before messing with him, but I'm concerned that he won't make it through the night.
I certainly hope I'm wrong.
thank you for the reply, Flower!
Okay...first he should be in a QT...because all that can happen in the main tank is for the CUC to do their job. A transparent tail does not sound good. Don't mess with him, you will just stress him more. clowns are pretty hardy so leave him alone and hope for the best.
Most fish won't eat the first 24 hours. Dimming the lights help releave stress too.

aviator

I'm sad to say that he didn't make it.
the other picasso is doing 'swimmingly' as is the large carpet Anemone and the Diamond Goby. we pulled the large Damsel out of the tank since he was the one being a bully.
it's a shame that we lost him, and we will replace him before the surviving picaso becomes territorial. we really want a couple.