Xenia

mlm

How long should it take for Xenia to look like it did in the store in your tank?

wrigley11

Which type of Xenia did you buy?
Also, what type of lighting due you have?
What's in the tank with it and where in the tank is it, etc....
Xenia, if it is happy, should pop back to it's usual self in a few days at the most. Xenia are actually a wierd coral in the sence that you will either not be able to keep them or they will divide to the point where they will take over the tank.
If you can give alittle more info I can probably help you more.

mlm

I have 55 gallon tank with 3 110 watt VHO bulbs. I have a clown fish, bubble tip anneome, bubble coral, mushrooms, live rock, cleaner shrimp, scooter blenny, 2 emerald crabs, 12 turbos.

wrigley11

You shouldn't have any problems... it should attach in less then a day and look great in less then a week. You could have just gotten a bad coral or it may just be taking alittle longer. Just make sure it is in the light and your water quality is good. If it hasn't stuck yet you could try moving it up in the tank.
What type of lights are you running?
If the coral does die and you live close to chicago I could always sell you another heathy piece at a really good price. Keep me informed and I'll help any way I can.

robinfly

Wrigley - do you sell tank raised Xenia? I'm looking to get started with keeping corals, and I'd rather find tank raised specimens than purchase ones harvested from the wild (lfs). Are Xenia a good 'beginners' coral?
Boy, I need to pick up a book or two on the subject sometime soon :rolleyes:

mal

wrigley11 is right. Xenia can be easy to keep or impossible. I tried a very small tank raised piece a long time ago and it never attached and died. All my other corals were fine, just the xenia. My lfs has to literally prune it off the glass, it's taking over.
BlueWater, I would try the toadstool first, they grow fast, and are easily cared for, assuming your water is good to go.

kimmisue

Originally posted by BlueWater:
<STRONG>Are Xenia's hardy? Deciding between that and a toadstool (for my first coral)</STRONG>
Leathers are great....I would start with that. Toadstool.
Kim
:D

wrigley11

As far as the Xenia go under the right conditions they become a pain. I have to actually find places to put new pieces before they kill other corals. As for a first piece of coral, if you have the right conditions it should not matter what you buy as long as you know how to take care of it.
mlm - your lighting should be fine. How big is the piece you purchased. If it was small and they removed it from an attachment it more then likely will die. When buying Xenia, make sure it is a nice size piece or already attached to something.
Also one last thing... there is a disease that can effect Xenia, it basicly causes the arms to melt off the main body of the coral. If this happens do not throw the coral out. Just do a large water change every week until the coral looks better again. The arms will slowly start to grow back.
mlm - good luck with the coral and keep us informed.
[ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: Saltwaterfish.com ]

dsboyd

I'm just planning my reef, getting setup and hopefully running by Christmas.
90g, will 4 110W VHo support Xenia?

mlm

The Xenia I bought was tank raised and it is attached to a piece of rock. It has been moving over the last few days towards the top of the rock and it seems to be splitting in two. The only thing I dont understand is that it does not seem as fully expanded as it was in the shop. I would think that if it is moving and splitting it must be in pretty good condition. What do you think?

mlm

Another thing about it is its "arms and fingers" seem to retract in to the main body for no apparent reason at times during the day and it closes up fully about two hours before the lights go out almost as if it is getting to much light.

wrigley11

Are you lights on a cycle or do you open the tank and then the arms pull in?
If the Xenia is dividing your fine. They seem alittle smaller as they are dividing. Now about the arm thing. All corals believe it or not will get on a cycle, this represents the day. As time comes for the lights to shut off, or if you sim. dawn and dusk the coral will prepare for the evening. Pulling in it's arms is what Xenia does. You should see all of your corals to this to a point though.
If you need any more info drop me a line...

mlm

My lights are on a cycle. I guees it is preparing for the night then. Thats pretty neat then. Thanks for all of the help.
mlm

I ahve a 55 reef and jsut bought a small piece of xenia that ahs 2 different stems attached tot he rock abotu 3 weeks ago and ever since i bought it hoem it wont fully open up like the fingers wont spread. but the wierd thign si that there are bout 3 baby xenia all around this piece but the corla isnt openign completely help plz???
i have a 65 watt smartlite

ironreef

IMo don't get elongated unless you want mainly xenia. took me 2years to get that weed out of my tank. I keep pop pom cuz i can control the growth .JMO yeah nad only get xenia thats attached to rock or something. some places try to cut and sell = not good
[ November 30, 2001: Message edited by: Ironreef ]

wrigley11

crazy bout salt - that's not enough light for Xenia. The coral may divid but it will not ever complete open under those lighting conditions. The coral may live and even reproduce, but will never get large the thick.
Hope that helps,

fishfreek

ironreef & wrigley, i too just bought a piece of xenia just yesterday(i beleive its a pom pom but not positive) wich is attached to a small piece of LR. I have read books and alot of posts on diffrent boards and people seem to have mixed results with xenias. Anyway, i thought i would give these a shot in my 45g reef. I have just a few questions, is 96w pc smartlite+30w NO actinic enough light if kept midway up on my rock work?(another board & LFS seemed to think this lighting would be fine) The arms seem to be fully extended but the hands aren't fully open yet. I also have it in medium current. I dose iodine weekly along with daily doses of calcium and buffer. What other additives would you guys reccomend for keeping xenias? Phytoplankton? Also, can eighter of you provide a pic of a pom pom to help me get a positive id?
BTW, tested water yesterday:
ammonia=0
nitrites=0
nitrates=undetectable
alk=3.2
cal=450
salinity=1.024
pH=8.1
I also keep a toadstool,various mushrooms,red open brain,colt,short tentical plate and green star polyps. All are doing well and growing/spreading. :D I hope the same for my newly added xenias.
thanks for any info you can provide :D
[ December 03, 2001: Message edited by: fishfreek ]