Yellow Assessor anyone?

anonome

I got a yellow assessor and was wondering if anyone else had one? Post your pic if you do. Full of spunk for such a little fish.
Feeds right in there with the "piranhas", my tangs. They are such aggressive feeders, and since day one he has been right there with them.

anonome

Yes, basselet family, it is called a yellow flavissimus. They reign in the great barrier reef. Hard to get a hold of one, and pricey, but, I am glad that I did. Extremely hardy fish, eats anything meaty. Has just started to eat pellets. Mysis shrimp is his favorite though.

t316

Originally Posted by Anonome
http:///forum/post/2753974
Yes, basselet family, it is called a yellow flavissimus. They reign in the great barrier reef. Hard to get a hold of one, and pricey, but, I am glad that I did. Extremely hardy fish, eats anything meaty. Has just started to eat pellets. Mysis shrimp is his favorite though.
Very nice. They must be rare, or like you said...pricey. I have not seen these before. I'm interested in your experience with him.

novahobbies

does he like to hang upside-down under a rock? I've seen one in the display tank of one of my LFSs, and that's all he does, all day long. Looks kinda funny that way....

a sea k

I have two yellows (Assessor flavissimus) and a single blue (Assessor macneilli) in a 65.
They are among my favorite fish. I have found mine to be very delicate around more aggressive fish and am surprised yours stay out with the Tangs. Maybe they don't recognize them as a threat. I put a McCosker's wrasse in the tank with them and they hid until I removed the wrasse.
I have found these to be the most difficult of all my fish to photograph but I'll post some of the best crummy pics I have.

anonome

Absolutely awesome A sea K....My assessor has been out and in front from the day I got it. He is only hiding when the halides are on, don't think he likes the super bright lighting. But, he can sense when I walk into the room....my fish always think it is feeding time, eventhough I might have fed them just a few minutes earlier. LOL!! He definately has a big dog attitude in such a little package.
I have an opportunity to get a blue one, glad to see you have 3!!! They are definately one of my favorites. Great pics by the way.

a sea k

Nothing against the Blue but I like my Yellows much more. I'd say pack that 125 with these little guy's if they werent so darned $$$$. Mine are kept under T-5's so its not intense light and there out anytime during the lighting period now that the wrasse has been removed. I added a Eibli dwarf to the tank and they hid for a bit. They have warmed up to him but still a little skiddish. I don't know how to use the PM function but I know where there are some yellows right now, If your interested.

anonome

I got your pm, not sure I want anymore yellows, but will contact you if I change my mind......this can happen at any time! LOL.
I know what you mean on being pricey...mine was $120, but well worth it. But, I have to admit I had to stop and think pretty hard to invest that kind of money on a fish that small. It is now the most money spent on the size fish. I feel confident on keeping it, I don't consider myself an expert, but definitely not a novice. I am very diligent in water quality care.
I know that they sell them online much cheaper, but I bought it from a very, very, reliable marine store locally that specializes in nothing but marine fish and invertebrate. Everything I have ever gotten from them is still with me today, so I trust them.

a sea k

I'd be happy to help if you need it. It must be great having a LFS like that. I fully understandt how important it is but my LFS leave a little to be desired. I trust one shop but they have difficulty with special orders and the other one is.....well, lets just say not so good. I had these fish on order for over 7 months before I found a source for them.