Yellow Polyp Residue

mikeo5422

I purchased some yellow polyps a few months ago. I recently returned them. When I had them I noticed the rock they were on turned entirely yellow. Some of this yellow was left behind in my tank. Recent that yellow has spread. It's getting to the point where I'm kind of concerned about it. I am assuming these spots will soon sprout polyps. Is this true? I have had them for a while and I see no signs of polyps, simply yellow discoloration. Does anyone have any insight on this? Can I get rid of these spots?

1guydude

is it in the excact location of the polyps when u had em?!?!? Ive had 3 sets of these yellow polyps and never had a mat look like that, im with btl thinkin its some form of a sponge!

mikeo5422

Yes it started off in that location and now its all over. It turned the rock that the polyps came on brihht yellow. It was exactly like slime algae but yellow. I could siphon it off like a sheet. It has not gotten that bad yet tho.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeO5422 http:///t/388357/yellow-polyp-residue#post_3424731
Yes it started off in that location and now its all over. It turned the rock that the polyps came on brihht yellow. It was exactly like slime algae but yellow. I could siphon it off like a sheet. It has not gotten that bad yet tho.
If it's a sponge it's a good filter feeder, and yellow is beautiful in a fish tank. I wouldn't bother it unless it is sufficating corals. Slime algae is actually a bacteria and it speads like fire sufficating corals. You said it's been a while, so it doen't sound like a bad thing.

mikeo5422

It has taken over my entire tank. And as it gets thicker it turns green and appears to resemble or even be hair algae. It starts off yellow and looks kind of nice. However, the thicker patches have sprouted what looks exactly like hair algae. Need immediate critters that eat hair algae o_O.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeO5422 http:///t/388357/yellow-polyp-residue#post_3427155
It has taken over my entire tank. And as it gets thicker it turns green and appears to resemble or even be hair algae. It starts off yellow and looks kind of nice. However, the thicker patches have sprouted what looks exactly like hair algae. Need immediate critters that eat hair algae o_O.
Post some up to date pictures...You said your entire tank??? wow..

mikeo5422

I already cleared it all out of the tank. I took a tooth brush and scrubbed off all the rocks and everything else. Did a 50% water change yesterday and 30% water change today. All water parameters are normal. I got two turbo snails, two margareta snails, and one emerald crab. I think I had a few separate issues going on actually. When I went to my typical LFS to get the snails it turns out they had a similar outbreak of green slime algae...wonder if I got it from them. It seems like I had green slime algae as well as hair algae. I had no cleanup crew at the time o_O. This all apparently started when one of my fish jumped into the filter and died without me knowing...must of been there a few days creating crazy ammonia.

mikeo5422

Also reducing the lighting to about 5 hours a day for this week. I have briefed my snails and crab on their mission and this issue will hopefully be under control by 05:00 this Friday.