Yellow sun coral?

javajoe

We were at one of our local fish stores this weekend, and they had a coral they were calling a "whisker coral". It looked exactly like a sun coral (closed up- no tentacles were out as it was daytime), but the hard 'stalks' were yellow. not bright yellow, but very yellow.
Has anyone heard of a 'whisker' coral, or is this just a sun coral that has been dyed? do some sun corals come yellow and not orange?
Thanks for any info....
Joe

the claw

I checked Bornemans Coral book at lunch, and didn't see any reference to it. Sorry. If you find out, please let us know.

lesleybird

Hi, I have the sun polyps that are orange on the outside with yellow tenticals on the inside. Last week I saw some at my LFS that were identical in looks but entirely yellow on the outside. I didn't know that they come in yellow either. I seriously doubt that it was dye. I don't know what color the tenticals are as they were not open at the time I saw them. Lesley

m.rogers

inthe a bookby Eric H. Borneman called Aquarium corals this is what it said Most Tubastraea common to the aquarium tradehave brilliant orange coenostea covering thier cups and brilliant yellow or clear to white polyps. yellow colonies from fiji havebecome more common in recent years . Tubastraea micrantha has an olive greento brownish black coenosteum,with brownish cups and gray to greenish brown poylps. there is also a coral imported and sold as black tubastraea.
hope this helps
mike