Yellow Tang Dying! Help!

shawnriv

I purchased a small yellow tang from my LFS last week. He's been eating but seemed to be on the thin side. I had fed him brine shrimp, garlic flakes, and seaweed. My water parameters are good and I do 20% water changes every week. Right now he's lying on the bottom of the tank with my scarlet skunk shrimp on top of him. He's till breathing. I don't know what to do :(

beth

Administrator
Staff member
He does sound like he is on his way out. What are the water parameters in your tank? What kind of tank is he in?

Brine shrimp is a worthless food source with no real nutritional value so you shouldn't bother using it. Or at least only occasionally use it.

Do you notice anything else about your tang? Does he have white spots? Are there red areas on his body, gills mouth? ETC.

shawnriv

He does sound like he is on his way out.  What are the water parameters in your tank?  What kind of tank is he in?
Brine shrimp is a worthless food source with no real nutritional value so you shouldn't bother using it.  Or at least only occasionally use it.
Do you notice anything else about your tang?  Does he have white spots?  Are there red areas on his body, gills mouth?  ETC.
Hi Beth,
Thanks for responding to my post. The yellow tang died about one hour after I posted the story. He was in a 80 gallon bow tank. My water parameters are:
ph 8.2
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
I purchased him from my LFS about a week and a half ago. He was a small juvenile tang because I like to buy my fish small so I can watch them grow up (I know it's corney). Right now in my tank I have two clownfish, one royal gramma, one scarlet skunk shrimp, one dismond goby, and one bubble tip sea anemone. The tank looks pretty empty since everyone is pretty small.

shawnriv

And also to add, he didn't seem to have any white spots on his body. He looked skinny and his skin seemed to be a little transparent in some areas.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What size is your tank? Does it have live rock, fish-only?

What do you use for circulation within the tank?

shawnriv

What size is your tank?  Does it have live rock, fish-only?
What do you use for circulation within the tank?
He was in an 80 gallon tank. The tank is live rock with fish only.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
To be honest, I don't think you have enough water circulation going in an 80 gal. Where are your koralias located?

Do you use a skimmer? What are your filters?