Yellowish Water! (I've searched the archive but not satisfied...)

uvmfish

5 days ago my water has taken on a yellow hue and is slightly cloudy. I have been checking the water conditions twice a day since this happened, Ammonia = 0, Nitrites = 0, Nitrates = 5, pH = 8.2 and temp = 76-78, sal = 1.022 all steady. I also did a partial water change of 5 gallons. Most of what is in the archives suggest a bacteria bloom and waiting a day or two and it will clear. I've waited 5 and am getting worried. I would hate to see anything die. Tank has been up about 4 months. Does anyone have suggestions or similar experiences?

fishfreek

Are you currently running any carbon in your filters?? If not, run some, 99% of the time it will clear it up.

mrmaroon

IMO...your fluval needs cleaned and the nedia changed probably. Better yet, take off the fluval buy a nice skimmer and add another 40# of LR.

uvmfish

Thanks,
I run carbon in the fluval, I'll change it and clean it though. I have not done a phosphate test, I need to buy a test kit for that. The water I use is from a medical research lab that is double RO/DI water so that should not be a problem. I wish I could afford a skimmer... this summer I should be able to get one and more LR. Any more suggestions?
Thanks again!

mrmaroon

You could get a CPR bakpak for 125. I have a Prizm (too small for a 55g though), you can find those for 80.