Yikes what the hlle is this.

prime311

It almost looks like hlle, but I though wrasse couldnt get that. The fish is eating fine and is maybe a little more shy then usual, but not much. All water params are fine, Nitrates were a bit high around 60 or so because my protein skimmer wasn't working. I didn't think Nitrates that high would hurt fish anyway though. The skimmer is working again though and a few days of sugar dosing has them back to a normal sub 20 level. Its the pit like thing on his fin, theres one of these on both of his fins. The rest of his body looks normal.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What exactly are you seeing. The pictures don't show it well enough. BTW, the nitrates you have are too high, and conditions that create nitrates is certainly a factor in HLLE.

prime311

Yes, I've heard about Nitrates causing HLLE but supposedly its just a rumored cause and that there is no definitive proof. I also had read that the Wrasse family don't get HLLE. Even so, the Nitrates were only that high for a week, normally my tank has about 15, and i know people have run their FOWLR tanks at much higher levels without problems. As for the conditions, my return pump broke so my sump/fuge were out of action for a few days then my skimmer got clogged and wasn't removing anything for about a week before I noticed and corrected it. The 2 combined to raise my Trates much higher then normal, but the levels are back to normal now. The first pic shows the problem the clearest. I'm not sure I can get a clearer pic, but let me know if you have any ideas. It looks like HLLE to me, but not on the face. I'm not really familiar with all possible afflictions though so I thought maybe you'd have a better hypothesis as to what it could be. It almost looks like it was scraped off, but since the same thing is in the same place on both of the Tusks fins thats too much of a coincidence to think it isnt disease related -

sepulatian

That is not where HLLE occurs on a fish. HLLE is caused by many different things, few of which can be specifically proved. They all have to do with conditions that lower a fish's immune system such as poor diet and poor water quality. I do not think that your nitrates at 60 for a week has caused this, although I am sure it didn't help. It could certainly be a slight infection of sorts. What do you feed them? Are you dosing any supplements in their food?

prime311

I don't think its dietary. He eats a varied diet of Deli Shrimp/Crab, Silversides, live Ghost Shrimp, Krill, Oysters, and Meal Worms all of which I also feed my Puffer and SFE with. The Tusk also eats this algae mix I use to feed my Angels and Foxface. All foods(aside from the live Shrimp and Meal Worms) are soaked in Selcon. I also thought of bacterial infection, but its occuring in the same place on both sides of the tusk. Seems very odd to me.

sepulatian

Can you snap another pic of it? It looks to me like where the fin folds toward the body. Both of my lions have the same thing. They are as healthy as can be. It is like arm pits but on a fish. Is it red and irritated looking, or just a fold right there? Honestly, if it is not effecting them in any way then I wouldn't be concerned about it.

keri

I don't have any answers, i'm just posting to say I enjoyed the title of the thread! :)

prime311

Originally Posted by Keri
http:///forum/post/2766053
I don't have any answers, i'm just posting to say I enjoyed the title of the thread! :)
Just a quick update. I ended up doing, well, nothing. The tusk appears to be healing up now though. The whatever pits on his fins grew a bit larger at first but then started shrinking and now are almost completely healed back over. Dunno what it was, but it seems to have gone away.

keri

Originally Posted by prime311
http:///forum/post/2780561
Just a quick update. I ended up doing, well, nothing. The tusk appears to be healing up now though. The whatever pits on his fins grew a bit larger at first but then started shrinking and now are almost completely healed back over. Dunno what it was, but it seems to have gone away.
Ah, good old benign neglect! I love it when that works! (Tho I have to say less often in SW than anything else)