Zoanthid problem...

salty jeff

I bought a really nice looking rock of hard to find zoos over the weekend. I noticed that their was a patch of melting zoos on it but it was a excellent price and I thought I could just srape off the dying spot and it would be ok. I did scrape it off but now I'm wondering if I shoud try or do something else. I plan on cutting part of the good zoos off tonight and glue them on a piece on tunga just in case the whole rock goes down. Has enyone had this problem before?
Thanks

mongoose

Zoos are easy to keep. It could of been that the previous tank that it was in did not have good water, flow or any number of problems. I wouldn't worry about it.

salty jeff

Thanks for the info.....just wanted to get another opinion. Have you ever seen zoos die and just stay in the curled up form,like they do at night? I'm thinking they ether would die and melt off the rock or open and grow. What do you think? I've had zoos for years and have a large collection of really nice ones, I just have always bought really healthy looking colonys until now.

squidd

Wouldn't happen to be a Red,Pink and Purple would it..?
Just asking..
I just recently bought one on-line and it pretty much "shrank up" as well... I'm hoping it's just adjusting to current tank conditions rather than dieing off...
I did not get info on the lighting and water conditions it was in previously, so it may just be a bit of transfer shock...
My first colony of Zos stayed closed for about two weeks until they started opening a "little"...several months later and under current conditions they are thriveing, multiplying, and huge...
I'm hoping to get the same responce from these...

salty jeff

Purple, white with a bright yellow dot.
I'm really hoping the same. 1/2 of the rock looks totaly healthy, open amd big. The other half are trying to open and it has this dead white slime spot that I scraped off last night. I'm grafting some on a big piece of tunga tonight for sure.

salty jeff

I scraped off the patch of white fungus and made a large enough bowl to dip the entire rock. The dip was 5% iodine (Tech 1) and swished it in this dip for 5-8 minutes then I did a clean dip of fresh tank water. This morning when the tank lights came on 80% of the zoanthids are open and the rest look nice and holding their color like they will open in a day or so. No visible signs of white fungus or melting stuff on rock. Think I got it in time. I'll take some pics and post it.