zoos dont open

fishfatty

hello....just wondeing if anyone could tell me why my zoos wont open....all readings are normal....not in any flow. both colonies of zoos dont open...the top of them look bigger than the base of the polyp. please let me know what you think
thanks

krazekajin

I don't mean to hijack, but i would like to know that answer too. I have a colony of steel blue zoos that I have had for months. They used to open. There was an outbreak of those zoo eating nudies, but I sucked most of them up with a turkey baster and did multiple idodine dips and I have not seen one of those in over a month. I can never find any sundial snails on them. They are in an area of high flow and right in the middle of my tank which is directly under the MH lights.

fishy7

Mine did the same.... had 3 big rocks loaded now I do not have any. :thinking: Water is perfect. no sundials or nudi. Looks like I am deficient in some area.
I did add iodine because it was low, but did not solve the issue. Need to test stronium. :thinking:

fishfatty

lights are about 10 months old...didnt think that would affect them, and the readings i will post in a little bit...

lion_crazz

10 months old is a bit old. What type of lighting are you using? Halides? PCs?
And we do need your water readings (pH, kH, calcium, nitrate, SG, temp)

fishfatty

readings at of 10/9...
temp-76
PH-7.7
Ammonia- .25 (suprised)
Nitrate- 0
Nitrite- 0
Sg- 1.0265
Cal- 400-410
What do i need to do to help the zoos besides replace the bulbs? Will this really help them?

kogle

Not to hijack but I thought lighting was my issue as well but I saw no improvement after replacing my lights...

fishfatty

i added a little buffer....dont know why my ammonia is high it never is, and i dont test for KH...am i supposed to??

lion_crazz

Well if you tested for kH, you would most likely know why you are having pH issues and then you would be able to correct it properly.
As for the ammonia, you might just be getting a false positive reading. Are you using Aquarium Pharmaceutical tests?

yupi1982

Originally Posted by FishFatty
hello....just wondeing if anyone could tell me why my zoos wont open....all readings are normal....not in any flow. both colonies of zoos dont open...the top of them look bigger than the base of the polyp. please let me know what you think
thanks

I have just one polyp that is very special because is a real Blue polyp
( got it trought the fish warehouse..the main source you know ) , it did open for couple of days but is been closed for like a month ......
and i thought i hitted the jackpot with that Polyp
!!!
I havent seen a real answer to your questiuon my friend !!!

lion_crazz

Okay, well you can most likely ignore the ammonia reading and the two things you need to focus on are:
1.) Getting new bulbs
2.) Getting a kH test kit and fixing your pH level