Flame Scallop - Group of 2 Reviews

Member Reviews

• Flying Shells

Posted by boucher345

• Awesome to watch while they eat.
  • NONE
  • As soon as I dropped them into my tank I watched them fly through my tank to find a perfect spot for them to anchor themselves. Once they did that I fed them phytoplankton and I watched as they would open and close their mouths to eat. They have a beautiful red-orange color and their "tentacles" I guess you would say would sway back and forth from the current in my tank. A beautiful thing to add in the community tank.

Facts & Details

The Flame Scallop has a bright red mantle with red or white tentacles. It uses its shell to clamp down and propel itself through the water. The Flame Scallop will "swim" through the water until it finds a dark and rocky area of your aquarium; here it can extend and secure its foot. Flame Scallops are filter feeders and prefer an established aquarium that has sufficient calcium in order to allow their shell to grow. More than one can be kept in each tank and they will often cluster together in one spot. They make an excellent addition to any tank.Scallops are in the Class Bivalves, which connects two shells by a ligament. This ligament controls the opening and closing of the shell which is used for propulsion. When open the Scallop extends its mantle which is lined with red or white tentacles. These creatures feed by drawing in water and extracting food through a specialized filter.

Flame Scallop - Group of 2

Flame Scallop - Group of 2

Saltwaterfish.com deals