First SPS trial was a success...

pegasus

This time I'll be dipping all my SPS in Bayer advanced insect killer before going in the tank.
I've been hearing about that stuff, and I think it's a good idea to use it. AEFW isn't something we want in our tanks. If I remember correctly, 6 line wrasse eat flat worms... and I happen to have two in the tank that's home to my current (and future) Acros. Then again, I've heard they were good at eating bristle worms, but I haven't noticed any reduction of those...

I don't have to worry about flatworms eating this Acro... :(

20150317_160921A.jpg

Last edited:

bang guy

Don't give up too quickly on corals that look dead or dying. Sometimes a group of polyps can seem to be dead and suddenly resurrect themselves. Frag off the live piece and you can still grow out the coral. I'm not saying it always happens but it's not uncommon at all.

pegasus

Don't give up too quickly on corals that look dead or dying. Sometimes a group of polyps can seem to be dead and suddenly resurrect themselves. Frag off the live piece and you can still grow out the coral. I'm not saying it always happens but it's not uncommon at all.
I'm afraid it's too late. The tissue is completely gone now, as well as all the polyps, so there's nothing left to frag. I'll leave it in a few more weeks to see if a miracle happens, but I won't be holding my breath on this one... :(

If I had it to do over again, I'd have a bottle of CoralRX ready when the corals arrived. It's supposed to be very effective against RTN, which I believe it had. I'll definitely have some on hand before I buy any more corals!!!

Last edited:

bang guy

I'm afraid it's too late. The tissue is completely gone now, as well as all the polyps, so there's nothing left to frag. I'll leave it in a few more weeks to see if a miracle happens, but I won't be holding my breath on this one... :(
I've seen it happen with frags that look completely dead. I'll be rooting for you but yeah, don't bank on it. Just wanted you to know it does happen occasionally. I talked one guy into pulling his dead frags out of the trash that had been there a couple days. One of them actually came back. I called it his Lazarus Coral.

pegasus

I've seen it happen with frags that look completely dead. I'll be rooting for you but yeah, don't bank on it. Just wanted you to know it does happen occasionally. I talked one guy into pulling his dead frags out of the trash that had been there a couple days. One of them actually came back. I called it his Lazarus Coral.
LOL! Wow... I don't think I'll ever be that lucky, but I always give corals, and some critters, the benefit of doubt. I had a coco worm for about a year and a half, and one day it was gone. I thought, okay... it cast it's crown. It'll come back. After 3 months I came to the realization that it wasn't coming back, but I still have it's tube in the tank... you know... just in case.

RBLLL

What a great thread to learn by! I really love the pocilloporas, and porite, - well done!
We too are at the stage of wanting to successfully introduce some SPS corals. We have tried a wee bit however no luck really. Question: We have been working to bring our Nitrates down as they run around 30ppm. PH holds steady, Ammonia, & Nitrite are 0 ppm. Could Nitrates be a significant factor for SPS?