At a lost...

Well today makes day 9 of the cycle process.. I am been ghost feeding daily and for a few days even had a shrimp until is decomposed to mush.. I had the shrimp in for 2 days. I am still to have an ammonia spike or nitrite. Nitrate are at 0 too. It makes no sense to me. I should be seeing something. I know that I have been adding enough food for 1-2 small fishes daily. The shrimp also decomposing had to release ammonia. I used a second test brand redsea. I was thinking that I am not adding enough ammonia to see a spike in numbers. I heard of people using pure ammonia and dosing with that. On a side not I am seeing a algae bloom on the sand.

deejeff0442

The algae bloom is normal on a new tank.not knowing your tank set up.do you have live rock? If you have a bunch of it.hell it might have cycled in the first few days of start up.its called a mini cycle.no way after all that bioload you dont see a cycle on tests.my bet would be the tank is well beyond cycled at this point.the only thing harmfull to fish is ammonia.nitrites and nitrates unless they are off the chart wont bother them.just corals and even then water changes will fix that.

Hi. its a 75g tank. I used base rock and only 2 big pieces of live rock. I don't think its a lot of live rock. I cant imagine those 2 pieces had enough bacteria to handle the load.

This is the whole tank. You can see the base rock and sand starting to grow algae.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
This is one of 2 rocks that I added. Its also getting brown.

deejeff0442

No way.around an aldae bloom on a new tank.i would.turn the lights off for a.week.the tank dont need light but the light will.make the algae bloom worse.

bang guy

Well today makes day 9 of the cycle process.. I am been ghost feeding daily and for a few days even had a shrimp until is decomposed to mush.. I had the shrimp in for 2 days. I am still to have an ammonia spike or nitrite. Nitrate are at 0 too. It makes no sense to me. I should be seeing something. I know that I have been adding enough food for 1-2 small fishes daily. The shrimp also decomposing had to release ammonia. I used a second test brand redsea. I was thinking that I am not adding enough ammonia to see a spike in numbers. I heard of people using pure ammonia and dosing with that. On a side not I am seeing a algae bloom on the sand.
I'm not seeing a problem here. You don't want to spike anything. Clearly the bacteria in your system are handling the nutrients you are adding. Sounds fine to me.

Well. I guess its normal to see the spike of ammonia and then nitrite. And I would expect to see some nitrate. If I saw some nitrate then I know that the cycle happened. Unless something in the tank is using the nitrate too.

bang guy

Well. I guess its normal to see the spike of ammonia and then nitrite. And I would expect to see some nitrate. If I saw some nitrate then I know that the cycle happened. Unless something in the tank is using the nitrate too.
The new algae you are seeing and the live rocks are probably consuming all of the Nitrate at this point.

geridoc

When I set up my 220g tank I added a couple of pieces of lr from another tank and proceeded to cycle with dead shrimp, but got no spike in ammonia or nitrates, although algae did begin to grow on the sand. Sounds familiar? Your tank is cycled, and you are clear to slowly add livestock, leaving sufficient time between additions for the bacterial colony to expand and deal with the new addition of nutrient.

I really hate "ghost feeding" horrible idea in my opinion.. Go buy a bottle of Bio Spira which contains good living bacterica, shut off your skimmer dump all of it on add some fish tomorrow. This product isn't a chemical it's living bacteria... Good living bacteria...

bang guy

You can hate it but ghost feeding is the best way to cycle a tank I have found. Buying additional bottled bacteria at this time is pointless.

flower

I really hate "ghost feeding" horrible idea in my opinion.. Go buy a bottle of Bio Spira which contains good living bacterica, shut off your skimmer dump all of it on add some fish tomorrow. This product isn't a chemical it's living bacteria... Good living bacteria...
Sorry...I just have to jump in here! Some fish means more then one to top it all off. Even after a tank is cycled ONLY ONE fish at a time, and preferably after a quarantine period of 4 weeks.

No way will adding living bacteria cycle your tank enough so that you can add SOME fish the very next day. Even the bottle says to add it a little at a time. That stuff is only good if you are just adding a new fish (ONE FISH) to an already established system, to try and add a little stability. Every time you add a new critter it will take an ESTABLISHED system a week at the very least to rebalance.

Good bacteria has to have time to attach to solid services and build, there is very little in the water itself. The good bacteria only builds from the ammonia in the tank, and it only builds enough to handle the bio-load that is present, no more, no less, a perfect balance. Every time you add a new critter, it adds ammonia from it's waste, and the balance is changed, the good bacteria uses that to build in stages ...Ammonia to Nitrite to nitrates... This is WHY Bang told you it's POINTLESS to add bottled bacteria when you are starting a fist cycle.

Live rock SOMETIMES will have enough good bacteria to allow no ammonia spikes when ammonia is first introduced, but since you don't know if it is enough, you have to add ammonia and then do the water tests. That is the only way to know what is going on with your water, and if it is ready for fish.

Last edited: