Beginner 55 Gallon "Simple" Reef Tank

Opinions on Jebao Wavemakers for beginner 55 gallon reef tank?

• Two RW-4's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One RW-8

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

benefild

Hey all -

Just started cycling my first attempt at a "beginner's" reef tank with the help/recommendations of my LFS, including live sand and rock (no livestock yet.) I bought my hardware at ***** - but, obviously, will be grabbing the critters from a nicer LFS here in Chicago.

55 gallon Aqueon glass tank (from *****)
Brooklyn Metal Stand (*****)
Substrate is Nature's Ocean Bio-Active Live Aragonite sand and crushed Coraline, ~ 1 1/2" (*****)
~55-60lbs Live Rock from LFS
Fluval 306 canister filter (303 gal/hr)
Fluval Sea Marine & Reef LED 2.0 25000K, 59 watt light
Red Sea salt

The tank has only been cycling for 3 days so obviously PLENTY of time to finish getting the gear together before any livestock go in. At some point I'll need a skimmer, of course - LFS said that could wait if I wanted to spread out the investment a bit.

There are obviously lots of threads about starting a first reef tank - but, specifically (because I don't see any threads with strong opinions about this...):

With plans to try my hand at some simple reefstock, I almost certainly need better flow than the Fluval canister is giving me across the back of the tank... Have been researching Jebao RW's but having some difficulty finding agreement between posters for a 55 gallon easy/beginning reef tank. Should I do a pair of RW-4's...? A single RW-8? A pair of RW-8's and risk a sandstorm in the tank, even at the lowest settings (a post I read re: a 55 gallon tank.)

Opinions for what wavemaker(s) will keep my beginner tank happy and healthy?

Any other helpful hints would also, of course, be greatly appreciated!

-benefild

Attachments

Kristin1234

The lighting fixture will need to be updated if you truly want a reef but that one will work for just the beginners corals.

I know, I bought it, too. Another $100 and we could be golden. Stankin *****.

lmforbis

I have 2 RW4s in my 40 which is only 36" long. I wish I'd gotten the RW8s. Their speed is adjustable so you can always turn them down but reefs like a lot of water movement. I'd say 2 RW8s.

I agree with Kristin on the lights. They really won't work for anything but softies. What type of reef are you thinking about? Soft coral, stony coral, anemones?

I'd look at a hang on the back protein skimmer (I like the reef octopus), not immediately but once the cycle has finished.
Canister filters work well but you need to keep up on the maintenance weekly cleaning is a must, otherwise they can cause more problems than the solve.

benefild

The lighting fixture will need to be updated if you truly want a reef but that one will work for just the beginners corals.

I know, I bought it, too. Another $100 and we could be golden. Stankin *****.
DOH...!!! *rolls eyes* WELL... Now that it's set up and I pitched the box, there's no returning the light at this point. As a completely naive, incompetent, new hobbyist, I certainly don't want to dive into any difficult reefstock. If you have any suggestions for softies that are immune to death and destruction by said completely naive, incompetent, new hobbyist (haha!), I'll take all the help I can get! When I told the upscale LFS tech which light I bought, his eyes rolled back in his head and he (literally) shook his fist at ***** for selling this as a "reef lamp". He did say, however, that he had a few ideas for heartier reefstock that SHOULD be able to thrive under the light, so long as they were up high in the tank. Now - depending on how inferior of a light we're talking, I suppose that I may have to end up adding some more rock to the tank to get a few shelves closer to the light.

Appreciate the compliment on the current rock, Kristin! That was version 1.0 (on setup day when the water was cloudy with sand swirling everywhere, so difficult to see...) I've re-arranged things a bit now that the tank has cleared out and am even happier with the result! (See attached) I tried to use the rock I had to create lots of open space between the rocks for the sake of water flow and hiding places - and to use the flat pieces to create shelves at a few different levels that "might" be conducive to reefstock. Like I said - if we're thinking the light is just going to be too terrible to be viable for anything that far down in the tank, I may need to add some structure to get at least some of those shelves higher up in the tank.

Attachments

benefild

I have 2 RW4s in my 40 which is only 36" long. I wish I'd gotten the RW8s. Their speed is adjustable so you can always turn them down but reefs like a lot of water movement. I'd say 2 RW8s.

I agree with Kristin on the lights. They really won't work for anything but softies. What type of reef are you thinking about? Soft coral, stony coral, anemones?

I'd look at a hang on the back protein skimmer (I like the reef octopus), not immediately but once the cycle has finished.
Canister filters work well but you need to keep up on the maintenance weekly cleaning is a must, otherwise they can cause more problems than the solve.
Good to know about the RW4's versus RW8's... I'd read a couple of posts elsewhere that the RW8's, even on the lowest setting, still whipped the sand up pretty badly - certainly don't want a sand-nado in my tank all the time, which is why I asked. Thanks for the input!

In regards to wavemakers, in general: I've read a few horror stories about coordinated waves putting stress/strain on the tank and causing failure... Any concerns about this with a glass tank...? Any experience...? If I go with the Jebao's, is it better/safer to run them on "Else" mode (or whatever the random mode is) to ensure that I don't set up some kind of wave and knocks the tank off its stand, causes stress on the glass and/or silicone joints, etc.? I certainly don't need 55 gallons of saltwater on my floor - no reason to make enemies with the downstairs neighbors...

Appreciate all the input!

bang guy

My favorite Mushroom coral is the Ricordea Yuma. They are attractive, available in many color morphs, and their "tentacles" provide extra surface area for gathering light. They can also be easily fed directly (chunks of seafood) making them less dependent on lighting for sustenance.

lmforbis

I have mine set to sync and have no issues you just have to adjust the speed. They can blow sand around. But any power head will do the same thing. I have mine midway up the glass and pointed upward. You just need to play around with them. The sand does settle into place where it doesn't move much. You just have to accept that the bottom won't be flat. In my 125 I have areas where the sand is 5" deep and others where it is less than one. There ocean floor isn't flat so why should the tank be flat.

More rock would be good regardless, that is what provides most of your filtration. You can buy dry rock that is much cheaper it needs to cure for a while but it can be done in a Rubbermaid tub for a couple weeks then added to your cycling tank. It will become live after a few weeks in your tank.

A suggestion on your lights.
I bought a 2 bulb oddesea t5 fixture on ebay for under $50. The bulbs it came with were crappy but I replaced them with good quality ATI and Geismann bulbs. These supplement my LEDs. This would be a way to add more light to the fixture you already have.

beaslbob

Goodness... A refugium...? I'm overwhelmed with setting up the primary tank, let alone a second! Possible to postpone that for the time being...?
doesn't have to be a separate tank. Just a partition with egg crate (1/4" square plastic grid) to separate the macros from the fish and perhaps a simple spot light from the side to light up the macros.

Just a thought still only worth .02