Do bubble corals split??

meowzer

Well the question is in the title...LOL....here are the pics to go with it. Obviously I am talking about the piece at the bottom of the large head.

flower

wow..I have never seen that before...are you sure it wasn't attacked by something? It looks like it's healthy enough for the small frag to live on...you always have corals do the weirdest stuff...I remember some zoa jumping off the rocks edge...that was you wasn't it?
okay I did a quick google search...seems you can stress the rock and force a split...maybe for some reason the rock under broke and forced it to split. It looks like it's on the edge of another rock in the picture and maybe it had nowhere else to grow out.

meowzer

LOL....you probably remember things better then me....I am not remembering a jumping zoa at the moment
NO I am sure it has not been attacked....It definitely looks like it is "splitting" though...I have never seen this either

monsinour

Well, do bubble corals reproduce by budding? does it look like there is a skeleton under the little part? I would like to know so I can watch our bubble for similar signs. When did you notice s this? did it happen over night?

spanko

some good information on budding and a picture here.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/4/corals/document_view

meowzer

Thanks Henry...I will read it in depth later (just scanned it so farLOL)
Monsi....I have noticed the growth, BUT it just recently has become so "defined"
OH and I have not looked close enough to see a skeleton....I will try to examine it further tonight

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/386385/do-bubble-corals-split#post_3393592
So this happened over time. I wont find a new piece of coral when I wake up in the morning eh? LOL
LOL....don't think so.....I thought it was part of the original bubble...well it is....kinda
Then In the last 2 days I have noticed that it looks to be "splitting" so this new growth is NOT exactly new
OH YEAH....I thought this would be interesting.....this is what the coral looked like at one point...LOL...I did a good job saving it

kiefers

don't quote me on this and I may be wrong but...... Lol... love that but MUHAHAAAa, anyways, I believe the bubble corals grow more of the membranious tissue and detach float off and grow. Basically they bud and fall down and grows on the sand or substrate.
Looks as if yours has grown or budded and is getting ready to break off to form a new seperate bubble coral.
What I don't understand or see is how and when does it grow another skeleton. HMMMMM

spanko

From the article posted above.
"The first form of asexual reproduction is "budding", which can be seen when a small growth arises from the lower edge of a specimen's flesh. This growth can increase in size over time, and can eventually develop a small skeleton of its own. As it gets larger and heavier it will sag down, and eventually drop away, coming to rest somewhere and attaching to the substrate (Borneman 2001 and Fossa & Nilsen 1998). In aquariums, hobbyists can often speed things up a bit by clipping off buds before they drop, and can then place them in an appropriate location.
While this sort of budding is also typical of many other types of coral, the second method these particular species employ is quite unusual. Unlike many other corals with similar skeletal structures, the flesh of the bubble corals can wrap up and over the top of the skeleton and sometimes all the way down the sides, too. When it does, the soft tissue can actually spread out and over adjacent areas of substrate, as well. Then, such extensions of tissue can, at times, give rise to a whole new coral (Borneman 2001)."

kiefers

just saw the article. where in "Posiden" do you find these articles!?!?!?!!! Lol.... Oh wait........ so I was almost right then. Now if i can only keep one from dying on me!1 UURRRGGGGG

spanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///forum/thread/386385/do-bubble-corals-split#post_3393632
just saw the article. where in "Posiden" do you find these articles!?!?!?!!! Lol.... Oh wait........ so I was almost right then. Now if i can only keep one from dying on me!1 UURRRGGGGG
I read a lot, a real lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/thread/386385/do-bubble-corals-split#post_3393639
HEY HENRY....my bubble has come a long way...hasn't it LOL
You have done excellent in the care of the creature. Well done.

mproctor4

One of my bubbles that almost died and has come back from the brink of death had a small little head forming on the side of the old skeleton, about an inch away from the healthy tissue. It looked alot like Meowzers but was growing out of the dead part of the skeleton rather than splitting off. Yesterday I noticed it just disappeared. It doesn't follow the info that Spanko posted but I have no idea where it went. Nothing has been picking at it, it looked really healthy then it was just gone overnight. Is it possible it just floated off somewhere in the tank? It didn't have it's own skeleton that I could see. So many mysteries in our little oceans.
Yours lookes great Meowzer!! I will be very interested to see what happens with it.

reefkprz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///forum/thread/386385/do-bubble-corals-split#post_3393777
well that there opens them doors wide open my teacher..... Lol. Caring for corals fish and yada yada
good god, there is nothing more boring than listen to some guy drone on and on about how to care for fish, especially when he is providing mostly stuff you know. I hate watching a 10 minute video that only provides 3 seconds of new information. thats a whole 9 minutes and 57 seconds wasted. with reading the same 10 minute speech can be skimmed, and only dig in and really focus on the new stuff, saved 8 minutes.....
but if you dig videos there are a bunch listed on this site for coral propagation. with probably the most boring person in the world doing the propagation......
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/forum/thread/291625/links-to-all-my-fragging-propagation-threads