I know just enough to hurt myself and some fish...

Brando31

My dad had a salt water tank when I was a kid, I I think the only things that ever lived were some Molly's and a very tough tomato clown. I had a salt water tank for a few years a while back but my method of maintenance was to do a water change every time all the fish died, then go buy 10 damsels and repeat. Every once in a while they'd last a few months so I'd spend $40 bucks on something cool, then eventually they'd all die again, usually sooner than later. Not once did I ever "test" my water. In my defense, I did have a hydrometer and a thermometer. Well, thermometer is a stretch, my heater had a dial that came from the factory set at 78 degrees.

Dirt bikes were my old hobby, but a few herniated discs have me riding the couch now. Hence the new hobby, but this time I want to do it right.

I have a 75 gallon tank, sump system with bio balls and a 740gph pump, a flow fan, protein skimmer and about 30lbs of what used to be live rock. I just dumped four bags of live sand into the tank with my old rocks and balanced the specific gravity to 1.024. I'd like to start off with a few fish, see how that goes and expand into reef if I can get a grasp on the hobby. Seems a bit overwhelming to do it right. I'm no chemist.

To avoid the hundred "new guy" questions you all have heard over and over...any quick references to this forums best of the best? I don't mind doing my research and will spend ample time shifting through the forum, but on forums there always seems to be a few guys that really know there stuff and a bunch of others with opinions...

I'm looking for:
Best new tank set up process
Best articles for maintenance and long term success
Best members
A quick guide to the acronyms

Thanks

Brando

lmforbis

I'd add a reverse osmosis deionized water system to your equipment list. Good water is the best place to start for a successful tank. I'd also invest in some good test kits, Salifert or Red Sea are good. I'm not a fan of API. You need ammonia,nitrite and nitrate initially to monitor the cycle. Eventually you'll want calcium,alkalinity, and magnesium, and maybe more. I'd also suggest a 10 gallon tank with a heater and hang on filter for a quarantine. A 30 day quarantine for all fish will help keep diseases out of your tank.

As for your old rocks, how have they been stored, what kind of rocks are they? I'd suggest new dry rock considering your previous tank was not very successful there could be things leeching out of the rock. Dry rock is not as expensive as live rock but needs some clean up before you use it. I like pukani. You can get a single small piece of live rock to seed the tank with the good bacteria.

If you go to bulk reef supply's web site they have a ton of videos on all things saltwater, setting up tanks equipment, testing rock, water, etc. I find that to be a great resource for how tools. I don't always agree with everything but the info is pretty good. I've been to their offices and their tanks speak for themselves. They are also Also a great source of dry goods for saltwater.

jay0705

Agreed with above. Dry/base rock. Seeded with a decent peice of live rock. Sw is as hard as you make it. Once established i think its easy to maintain. Just getting it to the established part takes time and patience

Brando31

Thanks. I suppose the most frustrating thing is that there doesn't seem to be a clear cut way to run a tank. So many different theories and opinions and set ups that its hard to decipher which route to take. Most things I'm used to working on are very mechanical with a very clear cut way to make them work. Almost every single thread has contradicting opinions. I seem to gain the most from watching videos so thanks for the bulk reef suggestion.

The step I am at now is wether to cover the tank or not. I've read the pros and cons on a few different sites...one thing I haven't seen them touch on is air born chemicals for household cleaning. We have wood floors that my wife cleans religiously...the kitchen isn't far away and between granite cleaner sprays/windex/floor wax/whatever I am concerned that overspray mist will end up in the tank...

jay0705

Completely sealed is bad. Covered doesn't have to be. My tanks are 3/4 covered to keep cats and other stuff out. I run fowlr and have no problem

lmforbis

Like Jay said sealed is bad, unless you have an eel then it is necessary. The air exchange is poor with a sealed tank. Mine is open. I have a hood but the hood is open on top. It is high enough that fish can't jump out and it hides cords and such. Many people use egg crate from the hardware store to put on top and keep fish in. BRS also sells clear screen top kits which keep fish in but allows air exchange.

jay0705

I just got some egg crate for my new tank. The only jumpers it prob wont keep in is fire fish. Now i live in buffalo ny so its sunny and tropical lol. I have plexiglass that will go on the egg crate in colder months to help hold some heat in, still tho not a full seal. The plexi only covers about 2/3- 3/4 of the tank. A decent starter book is the idiots guide to sw aquariums. Its not all in there but a good start.
Also in reference to your first post, go with a refractometer not a hydrometer

Brando31

Humm...well I don't plan on having an eel, maybe I'll go topless. But since there is virtually zero humidity where I am at I better think about an auto re-fill. The evaporation rate is crazy in the desert.

When it comes to this...I'm an idiot, I'll be picking that book up today. Thanks.

Here is my next issue. Anyone have experience with making a separate compartment for the skimmer under the tank. I think the pump I had before was undersized so I got a bigger one. Now the pump plus the skimmer won't fit in the sump. I need to figure a way to get water in a new compartment with the skimmer and then back to the sump/pump. I suck at SW but I am pretty good at plumbing.

one-fish

Like you I just got back in the hobby and know how things seem to be unclear as which is the best way to do things. In your research at times you will find info contradicting also. A good understanding of the basics will aid you in making decisions. Cycling w/LR is a good start. Nature will work her magic but it takes time so patience is a must.....Good Luck..

jay0705

Everyone has there own way of doing it. The basics are the same. You have fish people, coral people, mixed tanks, ect. Hob filters, sumps, canisters, no filters just skimmers, no skimmer at all. The possibilities are endless. Doesn't mean any is rt or wrong. Just different

florida joe

If you are really that concerned about airborne contamination cover the tank with some light weight material when cleaning around the house also turn off anything that circulates the air within your house, fans heating and cooling air conditioning when cleaning

Grifffish

I just started cycling a second tank ,45 g pentagon, (yeah, i know). Hehe. Live rock, live sand, fluval cannister, next purchase.. a protein skimmer... whoot whoot! And i agree with above comments, eveybody does it different, but, i say, do whatever u can to keep that water clean and in parameters (get a test kit) and u should be fine! And most assuredly , water changes !!!!!

one-fish

Humm...well I don't plan on having an eel, maybe I'll go topless. But since there is virtually zero humidity where I am at I better think about an auto re-fill. The evaporation rate is crazy in the desert.

When it comes to this...I'm an idiot, I'll be picking that book up today. Thanks.

Here is my next issue. Anyone have experience with making a separate compartment for the skimmer under the tank. I think the pump I had before was undersized so I got a bigger one. Now the pump plus the skimmer won't fit in the sump. I need to figure a way to get water in a new compartment with the skimmer and then back to the sump/pump. I suck at SW but I am pretty good at plumbing.
Sumps are an easy DIY project most are three compartments one housing skimmer into a bubble trap second comp. LR/refrig the third return pump

Brando31

Jay, thanks again for the book suggestion. I found a copy last night at Barns and Noble and its exactly what I was looking for. Just getting through the first few chapters really set me at ease with the basics I need understand in order to get my head wrapped around this project.

Brando31

Update. I read all of the idiots guide book, some chapters twice. I wish I had read it before I dove in and was ten steps ahead of myself. Currently in transition with water changes to get all the TAP water out. Wishing I hadn't stocked the tank with 5 damsels (some are showing signs of white marks on their fins) I don't think its ****** but haven't researched it yet. (I just learned salt water fish don't get ich). I am about half stocked with my clean-up crew.

The used sump/skimmer/pump I bought is now in the garage as I have decided that with this much time and money going into this project I should start out with better equipment. A big waste of money but the good thing is now I have back up equipment and or a I have stuff to start a tank for monitoring sick/new fish. (I had no idea I needed two tanks to run one safely). I installed a new sump with a refugium area, although the refugium is not active yet. Apparently I need a light for that. More $$$$. I also bought a reef octopus skimmer. I dug out an old LED light for a 30 gallon and added it to the 48" T-5's. Not sure if this is a good thing or not but it makes the tank look prettier. I egg crated the top and ditched the old water stained glass. Its very dry where I live so evaporation is crazy. Now I'm researching auto top offs.

Ohh, before the new equipment I tried to save money and add an additional tank to the sump so I could fit a bigger pump and the skimmer. I tried to link them with a couple bulk heads and some PVC. It sprung a small leak while I was at work and ruined the wood floored around the tank. My wife is pissed. Guess I'm not the plumber I thought I was.

So, as much as I am enjoying this...I am also adjusting to the required research which I like, patience which I don't, and learning curve which can be frustrating. I'm a college educated construction project manager with a knack for figuring things out, but for some reason don't feel comfortable with the chemistry part of this yet.

I'd say that the biggest part of all this is for me is learning that the "fish" are such a small portion of this "fish tank" project. Ohh, not to mention I change my mind daily on fish only/reef/or combo. Which obviously makes it hard to plan correctly.

one-fish

Seems you have a good start thus far. I kinda did the same as you thought I knew how. As a teen my Dad and I collected water fish and sand from the local beaches and dropped em in our 40gal. We used under gravel filters w/powerheads and a large mechanical filter floss and carbon. Had some sucess, never kept the pipefish triggers threadfish (lookdowns) long but the small feeder fish we could keep. We never knew of or how to cycle a tank. Summ er ended so the Tank became my Mom's Golden Angle freshwater tank.
When the US Army let me go I got started again had better success but still had losses due to my ignorance. Moved into this house and gave it all up. Due to my traveling.
37 years later retired the bug came back This time I have a little more knowledge and experience but the more I read and seeing how things materials equipment have changed. I went to what I had done in the past thinking it worked back then it will work now Well long story short it took almost forever to cycle but it finally cycled thats been 3 months now 2 clowns and a mollie w/CUC all levels except P04 and my guess N03 even though it reads zero are stable. I too have read the same book great start and like you wish I would have read it at the beginning I wouldn't have made some mistakes I made.
Sure once your tank is up and running your wife won't be pissed and will also enjoy staring for hours at all the life..enjoy the nights with a flashlight...Lol..The chemistry part will come nature will do as she does you just need to help her by creating the right environment..You'll be fine
Oh yeah a cheap 23w cfl light w/deflector from Home Depot will grow chaeto so I am told I haven't been able to grow it as I would like to but can grow GHA Great...maybe an Algae scrubber is in need of researching.....

jay0705

I have to say , your a bright spot in the "newbie" category. Your doing research, your listening to the advice. Its very good.
Sw fish get " ich" just not the same as fw. Treatments unfortunately are harder with it in sw. Damsels are generally not a good idea but neither is using fish to cycle the tank. Tap water was fine. Over time your water changes will filter it out. Long term its not great tho. Although alot of folks use it with out issue. Hell i did for yrs, but i only keep fish. Lol.
Fish stocking is tough thats why go big with the tank lol you can stock more lol