Keeping a Mantis shrimp

florida joe

Well boys and girls I am about to undertake my mantis tank. As most of you know I am big on homework. I am currently inhaling everything I can find published by Dr. Caldwell who seems to be the authority on Mantis shrimp. I have a 12 gallon eclipse tank with hood and light compo. For the life of me I cannot understand why I got rid of the filtration system. It’s off to my LFS for a filter and I am sure I will be at the cover with a dermal tool. I will post pics as I go. Anyone interested and anyone with a matins tank up and running please join in.
In the mean time some interesting facts I have found :
They are actually not true shrimp, but a separate family of crustaceans called Stomatopods.
They have the most advanced eyes of any animal, and have 16 different types of photoreceptors (compared to our 3). They have binocular vision in each eye, so they have excellent depth perception with only one eye. They can see 4 different colors of UV light, and can also see polarized light. Some species, such as Odontodactylus havanensis, actually communicate to each other using signals of polarized light.
Mantids also have the strongest strike of any animal, relative to their size. G. chiragra and large peacocks can hit with a force equal to a .22 caliber bullet. They also have the fastest strike of any animal. Their strike is so fast that they vaporize the water at the point of impact, causing a small implosion. This makes their strike even more destructive, and stuns their prey. Mantis shrimp are also one of the only predators of the blue-ring octopus. They smash the octopus until the venom glands burst, and after the venom dissipates in the water, they eat the octopus.

spanko

Okay I am in and tagging along. Interesting creatures. There is a large maybe 4 inch peacock O. scyllarus at a local shop here. The colors are just amazing.
Let the build commence!

florida joe

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3222779
Okay I am in and tagging along. Interesting creatures. There is a large maybe 4 inch peacock O. scyllarus
at a local shop here. The colors are just amazing.
Let the build commence!
Henry does the guy ship out of state and what is the price

florida joe

Originally Posted by Bulldog123
http:///forum/post/3222806
How do you go about clean or working in a tank like this?
Subscribed
very carefully. really i will partition off part of the tank. then bate tease the mantis to the other side and so forth

scopus tang

Tagging along to see what you do. Got about a 3" red Florida specimen in my 20 gallon long tank. Guess I'll have to conduct some more research on him . . . hhhmmmm.

florida joe

Originally Posted by Bulldog123
http:///forum/post/3222813
What fun is that? Its only equal to a 22.
its all about location location location
More info
The speed of the strike (up to 50 mph, or 23 m/s) creates cavitation bubbles between the shrimp's hammer-like heel and its pray. The bubbles collapse, and generate heat, light, and sound. The shell shatters with a flash too-fast-to-see, and a bang. Though the mantis shrimp's tough heel is impregnated with hard minerals, still she must shed the pitted, damaged surface every few months, and grow new heel armor.
"There are a half dozen species capable of breaking a standard glass aquarium," says biologist Roy Caldwell a professor at the University of California at Berkeley. Including, of course, the peacock mantis, which gets about 7 inches (17 cm) long.
Caldwell, S.N. Patek and W.L. Korff discovered how the mantis shrimp generates such powerful blows. It isn't muscle power alone. In fact, the mantis shrimp (a crustacean, distantly related to lobsters, crabs and shrimp) needs 470,000 watts of power per kilogram of muscle to do the job — orders of magnitude higher than the fastest-moving muscles can deliver. The creature's weapon needs much energy delivered fast.
So, how does she do it? She stores the energy, and then releases it in a flash like a sprung jack-in-the-box. Clever. The animal latches the hammer limb so it can't move. She contracts her muscle as much as she can (compressing the jack-in-the-box). This much stored energy could hurt her limb, but doesn't because of another clever device.
Mantis shrimp have evolved a special saddle-shaped spring that, due to its shape, can distribute huge loads over its surface without buckling or failing. When she frees her latched limb and spring, she releases the stored energy fast, and the red, hammer-like claw lashes out at blinding speeds, smashing her pray

meowzer

Hey the pool looks nice and clean....LOL
I'll watch this too...cause I sure will never get one...so I might as well watch someone else's

florida joe

so I might as well watch someone else's
Lois you are most welcome to watch mine anytime you want and i make it a rule NEVER to dip in a dirty pool

florida joe

Originally Posted by Hunt
http:///forum/post/3222845
i had no idea, what kind of aquarium do you need for thease
they can brake glass. you really do not need a high volume tank just make sure its acrylic. And its a species specific tank

shwstpr88

Is it wrong to be mad to see someone having a full warm pool in their backyard when my backyard is covered in snow and ice?

florida joe

Originally Posted by shwstpr88
http:///forum/post/3222864
Is it wrong to be mad to see someone having a full warm pool in their backyard when my backyard is covered in snow and ice?

its only wrong if you do not come and visit BTW its was a chilly 79 today

cranberry

Your tank is too small for a peacock.
The only place I'm ever concerned about a mantis busting through glass is if they repeatedly pound at the bottom of an inappropriately sized glass tank. They keep pounding at the bottom thinking it's a rock they need to break up to tunnel down further. Placing a sheet of plexiglass at the bottom alleviates this problem.
Yes, some species have the ability to break through glass. That I will not question. But, I've kept mantis' for years and run around those circles. We've always heard the fabled "can break through glass" stories, but go look on the forums for someone actually telling this story as it happened to them. In all my years I've never actually heard one first or even second hand, so IMO, the actuality of that happening are pretty much nil.