Keeping a Mantis shrimp

S

shrimpy brains

Shoot! I was really excited about getting a damsel for my (one day) mantis tank. I was hoping it would last a little longer than that!

deejeff442

hey joe these mantis sure can chow down some food .i ran out of snails in my 90 and 250 tanks.kept picking till all gone.so i went to my lfs and bought $35 worth of snails.a couple different kinds.i figured i would put them all in. about 15 of them the bigger 2-3 in snails ,forget the name were a bit pricey but figured if i put them all in his tank they would clean for a while before the mantis got to them.well all gone in 4 or 5 days.so i need to get a big 200 snail package this week and restock my 90 and 250 tanks.the thing eats better than i do.

florida joe

Originally Posted by deejeff442
http:///forum/post/3272069
hey joe these mantis sure can chow down some food .i ran out of snails in my 90 and 250 tanks.kept picking till all gone.so i went to my lfs and bought $35 worth of snails.a couple different kinds.i figured i would put them all in. about 15 of them the bigger 2-3 in snails ,forget the name were a bit pricey but figured if i put them all in his tank they would clean for a while before the mantis got to them.well all gone in 4 or 5 days.so i need to get a big 200 snail package this week and restock my 90 and 250 tanks.the thing eats better than i do.
Actually you are better off with the smaller snails that burrow in the substratum they seem to last longer and you get the benefit of keeping the sand air-aided. I usually buy medium turbos and put them in my DT and take one out and feed my mantis one a week

florida joe

I have not posted a pic of LOLA in a while so here she is peeking out of her burrow. Notice the remains of a little neck clam she had for dinner

deejeff442

hey joe,took a bit to find this older now post.i added 4 mexican turbos saturday.an hour later i looked in and only saw one left.the snails are pretty big at least 2 inches.i thought what a pig but,looked into the 3 inch pvs.mrs.mantis ate one and pulled two into her home for easier keeping i guess.what a fascinating creature.

florida joe

live clam (dont tell lois) lots of krill (frozen) and snails,i will try to get a pic of her eating some krill tonight