New 36 gallon bow front.

I'm wanting to start a salt water tank. As seen its going to be a 36 gallon and it's not to small but not big enough for me to not handle. I am doing this size so that I can see if this is really what I really want to do later down the road with a bigger aquarium.

What am I going to need besides the canister filter and the skimmer? And the live sand and rock? For this size tank? Again I'm new at this so please take it easy.

jay0705

Try a hob filter instead of a canister. Skimmer isn't needed if you just want fowlr. You will need a good heater. I suggest a refractometer over a hydrometer. Also sand over crushed coral.

lmforbis

And no need for live sand regular argonite sand is fine. I agree with Jay that a hang on the back filter would be a better choice. Canisters work if you clean them weekly but that is a lot of work with a canister when a hang on the back works just as well and the maintenance is easier = more likely to be done.
A couple other things you will need:
A good book on salt water aquariums. Salt water for dummies is supposed to be good.
A source of RODI (reverse osmosis deionized water) for making salt water and topping off evaporated water.
A couple five gallon buckets for mixing water- to designated saltwater only.
Test kits for ammonia, nitrite, and ammonia.
Two power heads for circulation.
Another thing I see as very important is a small (5 or 10 gallon) aquarium, small heater and another hob filter or an air stone and air pump to us as a quarantine tank. The quickest way to get disillusioned with salt water is to get a disease in the tank. Diseases run rampant in the wholesalers tanks. Thirty days for all fish in a quarantine for observation. If a disease pops up most need 30 days of treatment. Some choose to treat Immediately to play it safe. Never buy fish at ***** as a beginner. They will most likely have multiple diseases.
Once you have done some research and have the tank set up it is time to think about stocking. it is a good idea to come up with a wish list and run it past the forums for input on compatibility, etc.

I was thinking about the quiet flow 75 with a power head. If that would not be a good HOB filter could you recommend a good one? The testing kit I was gonna get is the API all in one test kit. Why the aragonite sand over live sand? Cause I am going to be putting a couple of lbs of live rock in as well.

As far as fish goes... This is one fish I'm going to be getting for my son...the clown fish...maybe a pair. What fish would be compatible? I was also thinking a flame angel for my wife and there's a small puffer that would be good with everything. A few more choices would be nice as well

I was also wanting to do some cleaner shrimp since my son has picked one or two out just can't remember the name of them as they aren't the ones I was gonna get. The red and white striped cleaner shrimp I think bamboo shrimp is the ones I was get plus a few inverts like and anemone or something like that. So along with being compatible with clowns they need to be compatible with those two other things.

lmforbis

I am not familiar with that specific filter but most work essentially the same. As long as it is rated for the correct size tank.
Live sand is argonite, that is the mineral it is made of. If you are adding live rock the bacteria will colonize the sand. Live sand costs a lot more. Argonite because you don't want sand with silica.
Are you also adding dry rock. Typically 1 lb per gallon. A couple pounds of live is plenty to seed the tank with bacteria turning all of it live. I get my dry rock from Bulk Reef Supply. I like the pukani. It weighs less so 20-25 pounds is a lot more rock than the same amount of live rock.
Clowns are great first fish. If you get oscelaris (same kind as Nemo) a pair will be hardy community members.
Cleaner shrimp are great, I'd stick with the ones that have there'd and white stripes that go the long way from head to tail. Stay away from coral banded shrimp. They are more likely to take a fish.
Don't get an anemone. Clowns don't need them and they are difficult. You need very intense light of the correct wavelength and a mature tank.
Just a suggestion. If you aren't set on the 36 bow front. Check out the 40 gallon breeder. It has much Easier dimensions for just about every aspect of having an aquarium. The foot print is bigger so easier to aquascape. And more horizontal space for swimming. It isn't As deep which makes it easier to maintain. The curved glass on a bow front distorts the view and is harder to clean. Every couple months ***** has a dollar a gallon sale where you can get one for $40. In my opinion the best beginner tank.

I forgot about the dollar a gallon. That's what I did for my sons tank. But I also forgot about the 40 gallon. It's big enough and broad enough like you said. I, a fan of the Fiji live rock. The cleaner you described is the one I was thinking. Good idea on the anemone just thought it would be cool for my boy to see them in a more natural environment for the clowns. As far as the live rock goes...I'm not gonna do a ton. More then like a couple of lbs to load up what surface area I can along the back of the tank. And enough to hide the quiet flow 75 intake. What would what would be the best way to start cycling the tank?

jay0705

Fill it get your salinity on point. Add your sand and live rock. Then add a raw cocktail shrimp. Leave in about 24hrs, this will start the cycle then ghost feed to maintain it

lmforbis

start by leak testing the tank. You might want to soak the dry rock for a week or so then wash off the loose dead crap the best you can.
Start by arranging your rock directly on the bottom then add the sand and fill with salt water. Always do rock before sand. I ghost feed. Some people add a raw shrimp. Then just wait and test for ammonia nitrite and nitrate. You can add bottled bacteria if you like to speed things up. Ammonia will rise then drop followed by nitrate going up as ammonia drops. When nitrite starts to fall nitrates rise.

Even in my wife's tank nitrates seem to be an issue (always high) I do my regular water changes but still seem very high. How do I combat this in a salt water tank? Can you suction the sand like you do freshwater? Or will that get rid of any bacteria that has been made or spread through the aragonite. Speaking of which what is good aragonite brand?

lmforbis

I tend to have high nitrates in my tank. I don't have an issue with that until they get really high. Macro algae helps. Only feed what they need. Regular maintenance.
I don't vacuum sand. It disturbs the critters in it.

jay0705

Really u don't want to disturb the sand. Sw and fw tanks are totally different. Generally in sw if you have high nitrates its not terribly hard to fix. Macro alage will feed off your nitrates. Remove "trim" your macro and u in turn remove nitrates. When using r o water its pure water.
Sand there are a few big ones. Caribsea is popular in my area

lmforbis

You have to buy it. Do some research on types. Some can go a bit crazy.
As to the sand I use Carib sea argonite. I buy it at pets mart. I don't like the super fine sand (polite) I prefer the larger grains, they don't get blown around as much.

The sand bit is a good piece of info I didn't think about that at all. I def don't wanna do the fine as I don't want it to get blown around at all. Good point. And I did decide to go with the 40 gallon. That way I have the surface area to work with. And more of an area for fishes to swim.

lmforbis

It definitely helps. PH isn't really that big of an issue. If you use good salt it should stay in a good range. Never a good idea to chase pH.

I was actually going to buy the 200 lbs or 200 gallons worth of natures ocean salt that way I'm not going out every flipping week for more. Is this a good salt since it's the only one I know about.