New Mandarin Goby

bmwright

I purchased a new mandarin today, less than 20 minutes after getting him home (still acclimating) he turned upside down. Decided to put him in the tank thinking it was a lack of oxygen. He turned back over, gills and mouth moving but sitting still. He got spooked by the other fish and swam to the other end of the tank, slowly turning again. This time no movement, I thought he was dead so tried to turn him back over with my net. Still nothing. Afraid a dead fish would poison the tank I took him out and placed in a bucket but then read he could just be playing possum?? So back in the tank he went, no movement still but my cleaner shrimp is trying to clean him. He’s still sitting upright but no movement. Is this a dead fish, I’m sure I made the situation worse by removing him from the tank. I’m just hoping I didn’t kill him. HELP!

FYI: tank is about 3 months old, also have a coral beauty, 2 clown, 4 damsels, emerald crab, snails, cleaner shrimp. All other animals are doing great

lmforbis

Unfortunately the fish is probably doomed, if not now in the future from starvation. You didn't do enough research or you'd know that you need a large mature tank for a mandarin. The tank should be up and running a good year before you even try. It should be at least 100 gallons.