Ohhhh, my Lanta.

35% Off ! All WYSIWYG fish and corals

Kristin1234

So my darling little 3 year old dumped a damn near full package of Hikari algae pellets into my sump. By the time I found out they had been in there for awhile, but was able to get about 75% of them out. The rest disenegrated into tiny peices. My skimmer is going crazy and overflowing quickly. My water is very cloudy. Other than a water change what should I do? I don't have any water on hand, I'm going to ***** to get 50 gallons and doing a 50% water change. Will my fish be okay? This happened over night.

Last edited:

lmforbis

Administrator
Staff member
You got a lot out so that is a help. I've been there. My 3 year old grand daughter did that to me a few years ago. A whole large can of flakes into a 42 gallon. I found out when I opened the door to the basement and the worst stench I have ever smell came up. Everything was dead. I left the hobby for a few years until she was older. I think you are in a better place than I was.

1. You were able to remove the majority of the food.
2. You have a much larger tank
3. You have a sump and a skimmer.

Water changes are the only thing that will help. I'd get some prime and dose the tank maybe a double dose for the next few days to a couple weeks. You will have ammonia and that is what will kill the fish. If you can detox it until you get the water quality improved you will be in a better position to save the fish. This is one time I'd say if you can't get enough RO/DI water use RO only or tap. It is more important to clean up the tank than have the purest of pure water.

I wish you luck.

Kristin1234

You got a lot out so that is a help. I've been there. My 3 year old grand daughter did that to me a few years ago. A whole large can of flakes into a 42 gallon. I found out when I opened the door to the basement and the worst stench I have ever smell came up. Everything was dead. I left the hobby for a few years until she was older. I think you are in a better place than I was.

Water changes are the only thing that will help. I'd get some prime and dose the tank maybe a double dose for the next few days to a couple weeks. You will have ammonia and that is what will kill the fish. If you can detox it until you get the water quality improved you will be in a better position to save the fish. This is one time I'd say if you can't get enough RO/DI water use RO only or tap. It is more important to clean up the tank than have the purest of pure water.

I wish you luck.
Oh gosh that scares me. I haven't been home since 9 am. Please let them be ok fish lord.

Kristin1234

I wish you luck.
Thank u. I'll get some prime too. Do they sell it at *****?

Did you siphon everything out of the sump?

Don't use the Prime until you actually detect ammonia.

Set the skimmer to run a little wetter than usual. Replace the lost saltwater with clean saltwater.

lmforbis

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have salt mix? If so mix up a bunch of water to have ready. I've learned to make fresh salt water as soon as I do a water change so I always have some on hand in case of an emergency.

Do you have salt mix? If so mix up a bunch of water to have ready. I've learned to make fresh salt water as soon as I do a water change so I always have some on hand in case of an emergency.
Nope. But I just ordered a aqua fx octopus ro di to make my own from here on out. I've always relied on ***** and they let me down today.

Did you siphon everything out of the sump?

Don't use the Prime until you actually detect ammonia.

Set the skimmer to run a little wetter than usual. Replace the lost saltwater with clean saltwater.
When I get home I'll test the water and post my readings. How exactly do I run it wetter? I have a eshopps in sump slimmer.

jay0705

Worse case if you have to use conditioned tap water. Only if your water prams really start getting out of whack. once stable the residual water changes with r o will replace tap

When I get home I'll test the water and post my readings. How exactly do I run it wetter? I have a eshopps in sump slimmer.
Not familiar with that one. In general, increasing the airflow makes the skimmate wetter.

So glad you have a skimmer. It may have saved you from a crash in this case.

So I came home to a very cloudy tank. Hardly visible. I managed to see all my fish except my blue tang, 6 line wrasse, and mandarin. Fox face was pretty stressed out. But I cleaned all filters, sock and the black floss filter, did a 20 gallon water change and tested ammonia and it came back at 0 ppm somehow. I did 1 cap full (1/2 dose) of prime just cause I'll be gone for a few hours and didn't want ammonia to appear while I was out. Now I wait. Hopefully when I get home some of the cloudiness has subsided and my blue shows his face.