Yet another reason to ban assault weapons

stdreb27

Originally Posted by bionicarm
http:///forum/post/3006186
By you're definition, everyone is a liberal now, even the guy you voted for instead of Obama. MAJORITY RULES!! Live with it or move somewhere else that is more aligned with your viewpoints and ideologies.
I disagree, as long as we have a constitutional framework written by the founding fathers. We have the basis to defeat any garbage supported by falsehoods proposed by the liberals. To change the constitution it takes much more than a majority. The Constitution Rules, not the majority.

reefraff

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/3006231
I disagree, as long as we have a constitutional framework written by the founding fathers. We have the basis to defeat any garbage supported by falsehoods proposed by the liberals. To change the constitution it takes much more than a majority. The Constitution Rules, not the majority.
Yeah, when the Dems are out of power they are quick to remind people about the pesky Constitution. Now that they are in power they seem to have forgotten about it.
You hear Mr. Hope and change has 12 advisers with him in Europe? They call them Teleprompter 1 through 12

salt210

this is something that is very wrong here. some of you are saying that the man in alabama used a automatic rifle. He did not. automatics are illegal unless you have the license for them which I believe is a class 2 or 3. he used a semiautomatic rifle and unfortunately there was no one there that was able to stop him. please only comment on something if you know the facts. not trying to start more of an argument but I am very pro gun, so this got to me

salt210

http:///forum/post/3006068
What parts do you need? I have a lower receiver, a stock, and can acquire several types of barrels if you need them. AR-15 parts aren't hard to come by. Go hang out at any gun show and pick up what you want.
what rock have you been under since late nov? every gun shop I walk into is slowly running out of stock because the manufacturers are backed up and the online retailers have much of their items on backorder or even keep checking back to see when it comes in. and yes this is inlcuding your AR-15 parts

oscardeuce

Originally Posted by salt210
http:///forum/post/3006360
what rock have you been under since late nov? every gun shop I walk into is slowly running out of stock because the manufacturers are backed up and the online retailers have much of their items on backorder or even keep checking back to see when it comes in. and yes this is inlcuding your AR-15 parts

Try buying primers, and some caliber bullets for reloading. They are almost impossible to find.
My local gunshop sold 15 ARs in about 8 hours.

bionicarm

Originally Posted by oscardeuce
http:///forum/post/3006388
Try buying primers, and some caliber bullets for reloading. They are almost impossible to find.
My local gunshop sold 15 ARs in about 8 hours.
I stopped in at this gun shop that's down the street from my daughter's cheerleading class just last week (All this talk of guns had me wondering what the prices are like now). They had 3 or 4 AR-15's behind the counter. I couldn't believe what they wanted for them - anywhere from $1,800 to $2,300. I remember I bought my first one for around $650 (almost 30 years ago.) Guess they are a collectible.

bionicarm

Originally Posted by salt210
http:///forum/post/3006356
this is something that is very wrong here. some of you are saying that the man in alabama used a automatic rifle. He did not. automatics are illegal unless you have the license for them which I believe is a class 2 or 3. he used a semiautomatic rifle and unfortunately there was no one there that was able to stop him. please only comment on something if you know the facts. not trying to start more of an argument but I am very pro gun, so this got to me
We didn't say he was using an automatic weapon. I think he had an SKS and a Bushmaster. The articles never stated if they were auto or not. I doubt they were, but even if the guy did modify them, you think he'd care if it's illegal or not? (Uh, he committed suicide at the end of it all?)

reefraff

http:///forum/post/3006479
I stopped in at this gun shop that's down the street from my daughter's cheerleading class just last week (All this talk of guns had me wondering what the prices are like now). They had 3 or 4 AR-15's behind the counter. I couldn't believe what they wanted for them - anywhere from $1,800 to $2,300. I remember I bought my first one for around $650 (almost 30 years ago.) Guess they are a collectible.
I got my AR in 06 for 500.00. Market was about 6 at that time for a box stock unit. I got the idea to trop about 10 grand on AR's back around September and the price had already jumped above a grand. I guess I still should have bought them, could have made a heck of a lot more than I did with the money sitting in the bank. I figure a year from now the prices will be back below a grand.

reefforbrains

Prices on all the evil black rifles have jumped a bit but they are still very easy to get. Provided you are of age, with valid ID, Clean background/Not a criminal.
There is no shortage on AR's or any of the parts. People are trying to horde them for profit or to create a panic to drive the market. For your average joe looking to buy one the prices are almost in line with everything else.
I am very active latley in shopping for them. Not nearly as hard to find or scarce as people may think. In California there are particular rules and white elephants to avoid. (oh that one is S&W it's perfectly fine, OHHH NOOO that one has a Colt logo...RUNNNN!!!)
People were so worried about finding ammo and the word was there is some great conspiracy and it is all on some intentional backlog, or re-direct for military, gov involved stall in production and blah blah blah. Its all hype. Just shop around.
Good news is with so many brands making THE SAME IDENTICAL parts the competition is good for the buyer.

zoie2

wow, this is a really good read.
I must say that I think people that are for gun control just don't get it.
Do you REALLY believe you will be safe if the government takes away the right to bear arms? Do you ACTUALLY believe that crimanals will have no way of getting guns?
Then ask yourself, do you really want a government that can just take away your rights? You don't mind loosing the 2nd, because you don't agree with it anyway, but what's next? What if it's something you don't want to loose, what then?
You think the government won't do that? They already are; and I'm not talking just Federal gov. We had a vote in a nearby town and the people voted ( almost unanomusly) not ban smoking in resturants. The people voted and the town government passed it anyway. It is now illeagal to smoke in restraunts.
And I also think that most people against guns have a steryo-type of gun owners. They think they have to get the big bad guns from these big bad thugs. I think you would be shocked at who owns guns and carrys. You could be surrounded by people that own and carry and don't even know it. I use to go knitting every Thurs at the library when my husband was in Iraq. there were 7 of us that went regular. The topic never came up about guns for a whole year. Then one night someone brought it up. How awful they were and what ignorant people use them. They were shocked to know I own several (they would have probably passed out if I revealed I was carring at that moment as well). They had NO clue.
And I don't think it's anybodys right to tell me what kind of guns I can and can't own. I have the regular 22's, 380's, 9mm; 45's etc some, but my favorite is my 50 cal. Grizzley. Do I NEED something that big? No, but is sure is fun to shoot and it's a real pretty gun! I guess it's like shoes with most women. They have them in several colors and styles. I just happen to own guns. I enjoy them and I enjoy the time I spend with my husband shooting them. I enjoy cleaning them.
Anyway, just my 2 cents.

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici
http:///forum/post/2996826
It may be objected that if weapons that are most useful in military service—M-16 rifles and the like—may be banned, then the Second Amendment right is completely detached from the prefatory clause. But as we have said, the conception of the militia at the time of the Second Amendment’s ratification was the body of all citizens capable of military service, who would bring the sorts of lawful weapons that they possessed at home to militia duty. It may well be true today that a militia, to be as effective as militias in the 18th century, would require sophisticated arms that are highly unusual in society atlarge. Indeed, it may be true that no amount of small arms could be useful against modern-day bombers and tanks. But the fact that modern developments have limited
the degree of fit between the prefatory clause and the protected right cannot change our interpretation of the right.

http:///forum/post/2996830
Held:
1. The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.Pp. 2–53.
(a) The Amendment’s prefatory clause announces a purpose, but does not limit or expand the scope of the second part, the operative clause. The operative clause’s text and history demonstrate that it connotes an individual right to keep and bear arms. Pp. 2–22.
(b) The prefatory clause comports with the Court’s interpretation capable of acting in concert for the common defense. The Anti federalists
feared that the Federal Government would disarm the people in order to disable this citizens’ militia, enabling a politicized standing army or a select militia to rule. The response was to deny Congress power to abridge the ancient right of individuals to keep and bear arms, so that the ideal of a citizens’ militia would be preserved.

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/07pdf/07-290.pdf

http:///forum/post/2996851
The Supreme Court breaks down the terminology so nothing is left to debate:
1. Operative Clause.
a.
“Right of the People.” The first salient feature of the operative clause is that it codifies a “right of the people.”
The unamended Constitution and the Bill of Rightsuse the phrase “right of the people” two other times, in theFirst Amendment’s Assembly-and-Petition Clause and inthe Fourth Amendment’s Search-and-Seizure Clause. The Ninth Amendment uses very similar terminology (“The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shallnot be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people”). All three of these instances unambiguously refer to individual rights, not “collective” rights, or rightsthat may be exercised only through participation in some corporate body.5
b. “Keep and bear Arms.” We move now from the holder of the right—“the people”—to the substance of theright: “to keep and bear Arms.”
Before addressing the verbs “keep” and “bear,” we interpret
their object: “Arms.” The 18th-century meaning is no different from the meaning today. The 1773 edition of Samuel Johnson’s dictionary defined “arms” as “weapons of offence, or armour of defence.” 1 Dictionary of theEnglish Language 107 (4th ed.) (hereinafter Johnson). Timothy Cunningham’s important 1771 legal dictionarydefined “arms” as “any thing that a man wears for hisdefence, or takes into his hands, or useth in wrath to cast at or strike another.” 1 A New and Complete Law Dictionary
(1771); see also N. Webster, American Dictionary of the English Language (1828) (reprinted 1989) (hereinafter
Webster) (similar).