‘Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin dies

madman33

Originally Posted by ophiura
His family had to know that there were risks, but you STILL have far more risk of dying driving every day then being killed by a sting ray spine through the heart. Would you drive when you have a family? But there was a PURPOSE to his passion. I agree that things like climbing mount Everest? Things that really serve no greater purpose than your own personal challange? Hey, stop it when the kids come...but there are things that have a great impact on others, and the planet, and then I say do it!
He really, IMO, established a genre...now there are all sorts of "snake and reptile" personalities out there, but few, IMO, had the magnetism of Steve Irwin.
Just a freak thing.
I completely 150% agree that he should not have died today and it was a completly freak thing that should not have happned today. Also from what i understand he wasnt even really screwing with the ray just videoing it from like 5 feet away or something. I dunno i just thinks its retarded that this is the way he died...he had done things that were a million times more dangerous than this and yet he dies from a sting ray sting through the heart...does anyone know if there are any videos from when he was filming? im kinda curious as to how exactly it happend...not that i want to see him dieing just curious...i dunno its just on of those things that is going to bug me for awhile...How exactly did he die? Was it instant or did they get him to the hosp?

puff_puff_

wow people.... for the most part you agree he will be missed... and for the most part you all agree you would not do what he did... but most of us will die in a car accident probably consiting of alcohal, or in a nursing home pissing the bed, dont forget working out selves to death at pointless jobs pissing away money on god konws what and dieing never being known or leaving the world any better if not worse than we found it.. granted his ways were a bit unorthodox but put into respective the fact that how many animals are alive because of him.. how many of our children are more educated in life, animals, and kindness towards others thanks to him.... My hats off to the man.. my heart goes out to his family but the last thing any coward in this world has the right to do is question what he did for how many years??? he made it to 44 saved millions of living creatures that man has been killing off from the begining of time and made so many people smarter, kinder, and animal friendly... god damn say he was amazing bow your heads and let him be.... who are we to criticize or type the letters IMO.. cause MO or your O does not mean anything to the mans death he should be appreicated not debated and surely not criticized the smartest thing i read through 2 pages of this post was imurnamie's post... she has the right idea.... any way great forum wonderful members thanks for all saltwaterfish.com does for me and everyone else.. god rest the hunters soul. the world lost one of the few people that actually made it better.
Jayson

myname1960

I started this thread not with the intent of deciding if he did or did not do something wrong. I just wanted to inform people that he had died and it was a stingray that was the reason he died. I wasn't trying to lay blame on anyone.
Some seem to think he was playing with fire and eventually would get burned which appears what happened. Watching his antics would definately back that opinion up.
I have also watched a show he had about the zoo he was in charge of. Safety was a very important part of what he taught his co-workers. From what i remember on that show one of the co-workers got bite by a snake and he demoted the man to a lesser job until he was sure the man learned from his mistake.
Though it probably looks to us like safety wasnt an issue to him in the shows we have seen but they only show us the parts they want us to see.
Its a tragedy that he had to die this way but when your number is up its up. As others have said i too feel sorry for his wife and 2 kids. They need support from those who loved him.
We can debate all we want but it wont bring him back or tell him i told ya so. Just remember him how you want and go on with your life as you choose too.

petieaztec

oh man when i read this my heart dropped. what a sad day for the preservation of wildlife. he sure was a fun guy to watch!!!!! I guess you have to know where to stop though. atfer all they are just animals and will defend themselves at all costs.

petieaztec

Originally Posted by myname1960
I started this thread not with the intent of deciding if he did or did not do something wrong. I just wanted to inform people that he had died and it was a stingray that was the reason he died. I wasn't trying to lay blame on anyone.
Some seem to think he was playing with fire and eventually would get burned which appears what happened. Watching his antics would definately back that opinion up.
I have also watched a show he had about the zoo he was in charge of. Safety was a very important part of what he taught his co-workers. From what i remember on that show one of the co-workers got bite by a snake and he demoted the man to a lesser job until he was sure the man learned from his mistake.
Though it probably looks to us like safety wasnt an issue to him in the shows we have seen but they only show us the parts they want us to see.
Its a tragedy that he had to die this way but when your number is up its up. As others have said i too feel sorry for his wife and 2 kids. They need support from those who loved him.
We can debate all we want but it wont bring him back or tell him i told ya so. Just remember him how you want and go on with your life as you choose too.
Animals are unpredictable. they cannot communicate the way we do. its no ones fault just a freak accident guys. it could have happened to anyone really.

vtfishies

i have to agree with everyone..he was infact a excellent reference and inspireation to all..love and live life to the fullest..he'll be missed by all, cbs has stated it was not the venom that killed him in fact it was the 8 inch barb that did..its also been stated that he pulled the barb out himself infact making his death quicker..regardless..he died doing what he and his family loved..i also have to agree with not bashing a man who died doing what he loved. but remembering the things he taught us and start taking responsibility for the things we do..i'm sure there's alot of steve irwin in all of us..rest in peice...god bless to his family and friends

cwgibson

i will miss steve very much, i bought my first lizard after seeing his first shows! he was a genuine person that had a passion for wildlife and his family and if you dont believe that watch some of his shows.animal planet has a marathon planned for all day sunday.

teresaq

My husband has been a police officer for the past 17 yrs. we have three small children. I would never in a million yrs ask him to give up his lifes work, just as i am sure steves wife Terry would never ask him to give up his. as my husband said, steve died doing what he loved doing. Yes i am very sad for his family, but I would hope all the good he has done will live on.

darbo

Originally Posted by Dogstar
I can understand how some can feel that maybe he should have quit what he was doing and got a desk job.........
But as a son, I would not have ever wanted my parents to have 'not' done something that they enjoied doing just because of me......I am sure his family is proud of him....
Thanks for the laughs and bringing me things in the world that I may have never seen without ya Steve

my thoughts on the subject
Darbo