1 gallon salt tank??

cmc3502

I have an old 1 gallon tank at work that has been empty for a while. Its the kind that has the cheap little light in it and the underground filter with a little airstone down the tube (hexagon shape)..
My question is.. Can I make this into a little saltwater tank and what fish (1) could I have in it? Probably just get a little piece of live rock and narsus snail (1 or 2) and use some live sand in the bottom...no corals

milomlo

you could probably do a shrimp and a couple shrooms or maybe even a clown goby or neon goby.

milomlo

I think a damsel may need more room to swim. There is also a nano type blenny that will perch alot you could look into. You need something very tiny that will stay very tiny

my way

Putting a fish in a 1 gallon tank is like you living in your bedroom and never being able to leave it. I'm sorry but I don't think it's a very good idea at all. There is absolutely no buffer zone for anything with a tank that small. I know you don't want to hear this but it's a crash waiting to happen IMO.

my way

Originally Posted by xDave
Get somthing wierd like an Arrow Crab.
Arrow Crabs get to 6", thats way to big for 1 gallon.

oceanists

Originally Posted by My Way
Putting a fish in a 1 gallon tank is like you living in your bedroom and never being able to leave it. I'm sorry but I don't think it's a very good idea at all. There is absolutely no buffer zone for anything with a tank that small. I know you don't want to hear this but it's a crash waiting to happen IMO.

Couldnt agree more

hatessushi

I would probably be great for a copepod or 2, no really maybe some kind of saltwater guppy that's about a quarter inch as an adult.

xdave

Sorry, I keep forgetting I worked at a distributor. I'd just rescue the little ones till they were big enough to hold their own in the stock tank.
C'mon, just get a Beta.

gsd

Sure you can. A yasha hasha goby and shrimp would work perfect in that size container, as would a neon or yellow clown goby.......shrooms are not very demanding when it ocmes to light requirements or even a feather duster or two.......

dut

You could turn it into a saltwater tank. I wouldnt reccommend fish, but a hermit or two or maybe a snail and some featherdusters. It could be a interesting lil tank IMO. But even with that you would have to stay on top of it. As someone else mentioned, the smallest thing like some evaporation would be enough to crash it. Theres not enough water there to give room for error. Good luck with what you decide.

oceanists

Originally Posted by xDave
Sorry, I keep forgetting I worked at a distributor. I'd just rescue the little ones till they were big enough to hold their own in the stock tank.
C'mon, just get a Beta.

I dont think you guys are understanding that the risk of a crash in 1 gallon tank is very very very very very very probable. It is going to be hard to maintiain salinity in that type of system. This basically shouldnt even be tried even a hermit crab requires 2 gallons.

debbie

Originally Posted by cmc3502
I have an old 1 gallon tank at work that has been empty for a while. Its the kind that has the cheap little light in it and the underground filter with a little airstone down the tube (hexagon shape)..
My question is.. Can I make this into a little saltwater tank and what fish (1) could I have in it? Probably just get a little piece of live rock and narsus snail (1 or 2) and use some live sand in the bottom...no corals

Get yourself a nice freshwater betta male. They do just great in these tanks.....

bobwire

Originally Posted by Oceanists
I dont think you guys are understanding that the risk of a crash in 1 gallon tank is very very very very very very probable. It is going to be hard to maintiain salinity in that type of system. This basically shouldnt even be tried even a hermit crab requires 2 gallons.
Where is your sense of adventure? People said the sound barrier could not be broke. I say you prove him (oceanist) wrong and make it work. :cheer:

sw65galma

Originally Posted by BobWire
Where is your sense of adventure? People said the sound barrier could not be broke. I say you prove him (oceanist) wrong and make it work. :cheer:
I've seen them work..someone rigged up a dosing pump to "drip" freshwater in at a very slow rate equal to the evap....It worked...
it's not Impossible...just improbable that many people can do it.

oceanists

Originally Posted by BobWire

ummmmmm .... oh nevermind your new .... not worth the time

J

jdragunas

ok, it might be possible (although improbable) to fix the evaporation thing. But unless you have a 10g filter on that tank, it IS IMPOSSIBLE to create enough bacteria to allow a fish at all... even the smalles one. you'd have to do water changes around the clock to reduce nitrates, which will be what? like 4 oz? and then that gives you more of a chance to screw something up.
get a betta. they're great!