1 gallon salt tank??

gsd

It will work and it is not a big deal. All it takes is at least a 1 or 2 pound piece of LR to be fine for bacteria growth. I guess I must have missed the post waring folks that yu have to have a 55 gal min size aquarium if yur gonna play in saltwater stuff, as I never seen it and I have a heap of pico tanks all doing just fine.....Guess I better go dump all those small pico tanks out into that big huge costly to maintain 210 gal setup thats just setting there empty....Bummer, as I sure did like all my PICO's........
The only real challenge is keeping the temps within reason. Everything else is a piece of cake and easy to do., Don't let all these folks with a negative outlook stop you....yes it can be done and there is more that do it than you can imagine.

bobwire

Originally Posted by Oceanists
ummmmmm .... oh nevermind your new .... not worth the time

OH tough guy!! To qoute Wyatt Earp in Tombstone:
You gunna skin that Smoke Wagon, ur just stand there and bleed ?

bobwire

Originally Posted by Dut
I agree that it shouldnt have fish, as a tank that small is going to be hard enough with no bioload. I dont agree that its impossible however, I am sure you could squeeze enough LR into the tank to filter a small fish. The idea is far from impossible, but would require a level of care that most people wont be willing to provide for a small tank.

I don't think that it could have been said better. They use to say that the sound barrier could not be broken, but now they are fly 3 and 4 times faster than super sonic.
Note if scientist can create closed biosystems inside of glass spheres, someone can get a 1g tank to hold and sustain life. Note this: http://www.bio-sphere.com/aquamir/eng/bs_.html
No offense was meant to oceanist or anyone else. I just wanted to say "Think outside the box". And sometimes "new" faces bring new ideas.

J

jdragunas

and there is no post that says you have to have a 55g, and i don't believe ANYONE in this thread said so... just a 1 gallon is not a smart idea. And i don't think anyone on here said it was impossible, just improbable, especially for a beginner. i don't know where you're getting your information...

melissa v.

i have a one galon pico tank i have had for a while, it is the easiest thing to maintain, i have 3 diff types of shrooms in it and 2 diff type polyps, and xania, and a ton of tiny starfish (i know they have a name, i just cant remember it) and several kenya trees. a blue leegged hermit and a bunch of snails. (mini snails cant remember their name either) , i do a cup water change every two weeks, and top off every 3 days, i have had various size tanks and i know that what is easy for one is hard for anohter, but the easiest tanks i have ever had are 5 gallons or less.

fishygurl

Originally Posted by melissa v.
http:///forum/post/2601907
i have a one galon pico tank i have had for a while, it is the easiest thing to maintain, i have 3 diff types of shrooms in it and 2 diff type polyps, and xania, and a ton of tiny starfish (i know they have a name, i just cant remember it) and several kenya trees. a blue leegged hermit and a bunch of snails. (mini snails cant remember their name either) , i do a cup water change every two weeks, and top off every 3 days, i have had various size tanks and i know that what is easy for one is hard for anohter, but the easiest tanks i have ever had are 5 gallons or less.
until something dies...eh?
what do you do when things die or your water parameters get a little off?

melissa v.

i can't get the pic on, i will later, my "things" have never died and the temp goes between 78 and 82, everything does great, i have a small heater that keeps the temp 3 to 6 degrees above room temp.