10 gallon kitchen nano

nyreef

everything everyone could want in a ten gallon tank awsome...great job..Does your wife mind the loss of cupboard space??:p

brooklyn johnny

Unfortunately NYREEF I can explain everything except how I convinced my wife to give me part of the kitchen... :D actually she doesn't mind... beautiful and supportive... a reefers dreamwife :D actually the problem I have more of are the "How much did that cost?" questions I get everytime I walk in with a coral:D

nickersyaaa

could you please let me know were you received your statrer rock.... I have a 10 gal. tank, and I would Give much for a tank like this please help , HOw did you do this????

nickersyaaa

could you please let me know were you received your statrer rock.... I have a 10 gal. tank, and I would Give much for a tank like this please help , HOw did you do this????

N

newreefers

NICE tank! I am about to start a 10 gal nano, only3 days into my cycle though. will be a looooong time before mine looks anything like that. Keep posting pictures and info!:)

broomer5

Real NICE nano tank Brooklyn Johnny !!!!!
Makes me want to get my little spare back out of the closet too :p
One of the nicest 10's I've ever seen.

brooklyn johnny

Thanks for the compliments...
Reeferdude, I know exactly what you are talking about. Unfortunately, what made me start up this nano was the fact that my wife and I are temporarily renting until next year. If we owned this apartment I would have drilled the cabinets, but we wanted the secutirty deposit back... The cabinet therefore does not shut flush, but the crack that is left open provides enough ventilation to the refugium.
nickers, my live rock is 15 pounds of "Tonga Ridge". I bought it locally at a LFS named "The Marine Scene". Although it is more expensive than Fiji, it is SUPER porous and I was amazed how light it was. If you have large amounts of rock to buy buying online in bulk is the best way, but obviously if you need just 10 or 15 pounds and the size is VERY important then locally is your best bet. Also, it takes a few trips to the LFS to accomplish this. I first bought a few larger pieces (relative to my 10 gallon), and then scouted out some more. The excess or pieces I didn't like went to the refugium. If I want more space for a coral I just move a rock "upstairs" to the refugium and I have more space.
I tried to aquascape it to make it appear larger than it really is, with alot of smaller rocks as opposed to a few large ones. I have also rearranged MANY times.
One thing I also have found important is the pH monitor. If you are dosing kalk in a tank this small it is almost a necessity, although I have always liked them. A digital thermometer also helps as your temperature may fluctuate more than a larger tank. Also I test alk and calcium every other day, as it fluctuates MUCH faster with so many corals in a smaller aquarium, and I adjust my kalk and calcium chloride dosage according to that. I add no other supplements other than DT's and selcon. I have always believed that we should only add what we could measure, and that is especially important with nanos... the misterious ingredients of "Bob's all-in-one reef additive" can build up quite quickly. Water changes and a good quality salt mix ;)
Broomer thanks to you also... IMO you are always right on with your explanations... and get your 10 out!
Anyway I will post more closeups... this weekend my club has a meeting and I will be doing some trading, excited about some red Monti capricornis:)

brooklyn johnny

This is a closeup of my pink tip frogspawn, which my clown has taken up. This started as a frag with one head, and has now branched into 5 heads, with three new buds sprouting in the middle (look next to the clown). As soon as the tissue seperates fully on the five heads I am going to have to frag it.

brooklyn johnny

A shot of my (according to my wife) "pink lipstick" ricordea polyp that has almost fully divided now. I only wish my wife's lipsticks cost as much as this ricordea... unfortunately they cost about as much as the orange ricordea polyps :D

brooklyn johnny

DVSKIN... I set up the fuge from the start, and I highly recommend them, and on smaller tanks they serve even more purposes. My nitrates have been undetectable since just after the cycle. After my cycles there was a slight rise in nitrates for a couple of weeks, working off the dieoff from the liverock. Now my nitrates are never detected. Keep in mind I have no DSB, as their effectiveness on nanos is questionable, and I would not give up 4-6" of that precious space.
One other benefit is my pod population. When I shine a flashlight at night in my tank there is a virtual soup of zooplankton sometimes according to what's breeding, and my neon goby even has learned to follow the flashlight and pick them off :D Regarding refugiums with me... it's not a matter of if but more a matter of how big... the bigger the better...

attml

Very Nice! Was the hardest part getting the wife to let you put it in the kitchen or the actual set up? :) Nano's are very cool - Please post more pics as it grows. Thanks for sharing!

brooklyn johnny

My wife has been great... as I've said beautiful and she supports my hobby... although if I had any gripes it would be the inevitable "How much did that cost?" I face every time I bring home a new addition. Now I just do the same to her regarding her shoe fetish... by the way any of you ladies want to trade shoes (or shoe frags) with my wife? She uses them like 3 times and they get piled in the closet. Come to think of it the pile sort of looks like a little reef tank with shoes for live rock... :D